New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Leaking HOB

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, July 28, 2017, 12:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hey folks,

So I've discovered that my Aquaclear HOB filter is leaking. I at first was alerted to it after it leaked some water, but not the worst amount, when I could hear dripping behind the tank.

So I took it off, cleaned it up, reattached it and put it back. Well... then it leaked probably close to 18L of water. I only know this, because I just had to top up my tank by 18L.

Thankfully I have a spare, so I've swapped it out for another HOB. The spot is so inconvenient because it's against the wall, the tank is 33 gallons, it sits on top of a piece of wood composite because our floors are a bit uneven and if it sat directly on the carpet it was tippy.

I am going to have to move it to get underneath the wood to dry the carpet. Looks like that's my weekend project - to drain the tank to move it.

The leak seemed to come where the pump screws into the filter itself. Has anyone experienced this before? Other than pitching the filter, is there anything else I can do with it? I'm really not sure why it was leaking so much.

Thanks!

*I did post this in Equipment DIY but I think that might be the wrong place. Couldn't figure out how to delete the other post, so I've cross posted it. I hope that's OK. Thanks!*

lucius

The seal ring that is on the motor is probably all worn out or cracked.  You should be able to replace it with a new one.

https://www.bigalspets.com/ca/hagen-aquaclear-seal-rings.html?sku=2946

Mike L

Take the original to home depot. They will have a match for about a buck.

limmer

You can also probably go to Preston Hardware also.
You can also silicon it on.
I usually use a tweezer to pull out the impeller to clean it without taking off the motor.

101DalmatianMollies

Thanks all. I imagine it's just worn out, as I didn't notice any cracks or splits or anything like that. I have 3 of these filters, so two backup pumps for sure. Just another reminder that I am in need of some serious upgrades.

Thanks!

wolfiewill

It may not actually be the sealing ring. I've used these filters for years and there is a problem of them leaking from the corner of the lid. Make sure that the whole body of the filter is tipped beyond level towards the aquarium. Put something between it and the tank on the back - outside on the glass to push the lower part of the filter away from the aquarium. This will cause any leak to dribble back into the tank. Many of the newer ones come with a piece of plastic that seats into a molded hole in the bottom of the filter body. It allows you to tip the filter forward to several different angles and accomplish the same thing. On the older ones without the plastic piece I put a small suction cup between the filter and the tank.
You may also need to put an elastic over the lid and around the body of the filter to keep the lid from lifting up and allowing it to leak. I do both to avoid a disaster like the one you described.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: wolfiewill on August 01, 2017, 08:14:06 PM
It may not actually be the sealing ring. I've used these filters for years and there is a problem of them leaking from the corner of the lid. Make sure that the whole body of the filter is tipped beyond level towards the aquarium. Put something between it and the tank on the back - outside on the glass to push the lower part of the filter away from the aquarium. This will cause any leak to dribble back into the tank. Many of the newer ones come with a piece of plastic that seats into a molded hole in the bottom of the filter body. It allows you to tip the filter forward to several different angles and accomplish the same thing. On the older ones without the plastic piece I put a small suction cup between the filter and the tank.
You may also need to put an elastic over the lid and around the body of the filter to keep the lid from lifting up and allowing it to leak. I do both to avoid a disaster like the one you described.

It's really interesting that you say this! I discovered that it was actually the lid that was leaking not the seal around the pump, and it was because the water level was getting too high in the filter and was leaking between the lid and the container.

Was not a happy camper when it happened again. Thankfully still not so horrible, but was not pleased. All my fault though, because it was due to a clogged sponge. So replaced the sponge and all is well again. This sponge was well past its throw away point.