New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blue green algae question

Started by Jeff1192, August 16, 2017, 11:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I have decided to completely redo my little 15 gallon tank. Going to change the gravel and redo the aquascape. I have some blue green algae that I'm worried about transferring to the redone tank. There are some rocks I'd like to use again but they have blue green algae on them.  What can I do to completely ensure I don't transfer it? Is scrubbing it enough?

Thanks

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Hi Jeff, I would suggest 100% bleach on any thing to be reused including the tank followed by through rinsing and completely air dried.

Dxpert

I agree - Scrubbing it will likely not be enough and you will have the same problem again in no time. I have also boiled things in the past, but I have more recently used the bleach rinse that Charlie recommends. I use a 10-25% solution and let the stuff sit for an hour. Then I wash it off and let it soak for a few days/weeks in clean water.