New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate alteratives

Started by ksj, August 18, 2017, 03:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksj

I'm setting up a small aquarium and I'm looking for a cheap soil to use. I found "Miracle-Gro organic choice potting mix" works well for most people but I can't find it anywhere. Would anyone know where to find it or another cheap alternative to whats available in aquarium stores?
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

Dxpert

Gilbotron is our resident dirt tank expert. He will likely be able to point you in the right direction. Have you had success in the past with a dirt tank or is this your first attempt? I understand that filling it with water can be quite a challenge so you don't get a muddy mess.

Gilbotron

I havent been able to find the MGOC Garden Soil I used to use anywhere anymore.  I've tried all the big chains and nada.  The stuff was awesome. 

I recently set up a tank using the new MG Natures Care organic garden soil but can't say if its a good alternative or not yet.  It seems a lot higher in nutrients than I would like which might be contributing to some hair algae issues.  Can't say anything about the growth because its a cold water tank with very low light (which could also be causing the problem as plants cant grow fast enough to consume excess nutrients). It hasn't killed any fish or crayfish so it seems safe so far (2+ months).  If you do use it, I recommend you mineralize it to minimize algae risks. 

Pretty much any organic soil will do.  Ideally with numbers as close to 0.10 - 0.05 - 0.10 as possible.  Avoid anything with fertilizers, additives or wetting agents.  I find the potting mixes generally have bad stuff added so garden soil is better.