New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Texas cichlid breeding

Started by Jody, August 29, 2017, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya everyone,
  So I noticed the other day,  my texas cichlids were in breeding colours. Today they have a nice batch of fry up at the front of the tank,  and are doing a great job of chasing everyone else in the tank away.

Jody

Jeff1192

17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

zenins

How many fry are there ?

What other fish are the parents defending against ?
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Jody

There are about 100-150 fry in the tank.
The parents were doing a great job defending the fry from a variety of other centrals - synspilum, centrarchus, salvini, cuban and a few other. I decided to build and add a divider in the tank to give them a bit of a chance. Now it is just the female and the fry as the male dashed to the other side of the tank when I was installing it. He is now making a nest with the other female in the tank.

Jody

cisaisle

Hi Jody,
how are you? just wondering if you are willing to sell a few texas cichlids and how much? pls. message me
note: i'm trying to get some male texas cichlids maybe two or 3 if i can
thank's

Jody

Hi cisaisle,
  Unfortunately, all the texas fry were able to sneak past the divider and were eaten in the end.
While they have shown some starts of breeding behaviour, they haven't spawned again for me at this point.

Jody