New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water change- water conditioner.

Started by matttimms49, September 03, 2017, 06:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey ovas people, I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend!

Just wanted to start a little discussion and see what water conditioner people use when doing water changes?

You would think they are all similar but they must have their differences.

I'm only had experience with Big Al 's step 1 conditioner and Seachem Prime and I think I will stick with Prime for now.

Now I have multiple tanks, a bottle lasts a lot longer as you don't need to dose as much. Plus it has the added benefit of locking ammonia, nitrate and nitrate, which can be useful if you are having some problems.

Does anyone use anything different?

Cheers,
Matt

charlie

I have been using Cloram X for a long time, same active ingredient as Prime
http://reedmariculture.com/product_cloram_x.php

matttimms49

I will have to look into that one, thanks for the link. Would you recommend it over Prime or is it a personal choice?

lucius

I use all three and it depends on what I'm doing.  If I fill my 55 gallon tub, then I use Cloram X or Prime.  Half the tub, then it's Prime.  My betta tank or shrimp tank, BA's water conditioner.

charlie

Quote from: matttimms49 on September 03, 2017, 07:12:39 PM
I will have to look into that one, thanks for the link. Would you recommend it over Prime or is it a personal choice?
For me both Prime and Cloram x are on Par, my preference for Cloram x is due to it is not as pungent as the Prime after some use, I Don't tolerate  the smell of Prime Well.
If the powdered Prime was available locally I would probable buy it

bergenm

I use the powdered Prime (Seachem Safe), it works well, it's a low cost option for big tanks/ponds, but it smells worse than Prime (IMO).

The only downside with Safe is dosing smaller tanks can be a challenge... 1 tsp treats 200 gallons.
Michael

Jeff1192

I use Prime in both my tanks. But I do have to agree with Charlie that the smell isn't great. L
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: bergenm on September 03, 2017, 09:37:39 PM
I use the powdered Prime (Seachem Safe), it works well, it's a low cost option for big tanks/ponds, but it smells worse than Prime (IMO).

The only downside with Safe is dosing smaller tanks can be a challenge... 1 tsp treats 200 gallons.
Thanks for the info, in that case I'll stick to Cloram X  :)

tanksalot360

I've switched to Seachem Safe - the small 250 g container treats 60 000 gallons, for under 20$. I don't find there to be a smell to the product, or I'm used to it :P Even if you have to pay for shipping, the dry salt-type products are your best bang for buck!

I was buying 2L Prime (treats 20 000 gallons, for ~70$) and refilling smaller bottles for a number of years prior.

matttimms49

I will have to look into Seachem safe, if it's more cost effective. With powdered conditioner, do you add. It to the tank before you add new water or do you premix it in a bucket with new water?

Gilbotron

Interesting... 

I've always avoided conditioners that "lock in" ammonia (like Prime and the API equiv.).  I use the BA Step 1.  And it doesn't stink which is nice bonus.

I was once told (early in my fishkeeping days - i.e. the formative years) that if concentrations of ammonia ever get to a certain point, or some other chemical reaction occurs, then they could release - like a ticking time bomb.  Don't know if its true or not, and I figure with my heavily planted tanks ammonia is not really a worry given it just gets consumed by the plants.  Anybody know/experience anything like this?  Is it true?

matttimms49

Yes that would be an interesting thing to find out, I think I will shoot the Seachem help an email to ask them.

I did like the BA step 1 but when I had new tank syndrome as a beginner Prime really helped to save my fish.

I did like that BA step 1 has the added slime coat. Not sure if prime does?