New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Meeting & Event Ideas?

Started by Gilbotron, September 07, 2017, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbotron

What would you like to get from the club this year?
Let us know if you have any ideas or things you would be interested in seeing or being involved in this year.

For meetings do you want....

• Speakers - any people or topics in particular?
  • Demonstrations - how to's, tank setup, etc. - on what?
  • Hands-on Workshops - Get involved making gadgets, live food, etc.?
  • Interactive/social events - trivia night, pot luck, etc.?

What about outside of regular meetings?  Would you be interested in events like dinners/parties, pub nights, tank tours, group trips/excursions, field work/collecting, building & maintaining community aquariums, etc.?

Please post (or PM me) any likes or dislikes so we can do our best to make the club as interesting as possible!

Kalinkacat

I would like a presentation/meeting/discussion on water chemistry for freshwater planted tanks.  I am currently trying to understand what each property is and how they work together and what results when peramaters change.  Why do the parameters change, how do we rebalance it etc.

The other discussion I would like is on using fertilizers in planted tanks.  What is used, how is it administered, does it affect the water chemistry - in what way, how can we test to make sure we have enough nutrients, how do we know which nutrients are missing etc.

Thanks,

Kalinkacat

I also really enjoyed the Plant Tour we did in Ottawa and would love to do that again.  It overwhelmed my poor brain with information but was so worth the exhaustion after!

Special thanks to all those who opened their homes for the tour and who answered my endless questions and continue to do so.

Gilbotron

Awesome ideas!  I will add these to the list.  Water Chemistry alone is a great topic, and might be fun to make it more of a debate/open discussion as I'm sure everyone has ideas on how to manage it. 

Yes the tank tour was great fun and super informative.  I want to get more of those going - and not just for planted tanks.  Marine, Africans, shrimp, breeding, etc...  Maybe we can get a mini tour this fall before the snow comes?

If any of you would be interested in showing off your tanks/fishrooms, please PM me.  Give me a rough idea of what you have (i.e. # of tanks/total gallons, what your focus is, etc.) and part of town you are in and I'll try to coordinate similar interests by area.