New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Oct. 23 Meeting - Live Food Workshops

Started by Gilbotron, September 21, 2017, 11:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbotron

Our next club meeting we will be doing Live Food Workshops where members can create their own live food cultures to bring home! 

During the meeting we will learn how to create various cultures, keep them going, and how to harvest them!  These will be hands-on breakout sessions of ~5 people per culture at a time.  If we have enough variation of cultures we will do rotating stations so people have an opportunity to create different ones.

So far we have...
White Worms
Vinegar Eels

Are there any members out there that maintain other live food cultures that would be interested in sharing their cultures and teach others how to? All we ask is for you to bring enough supplies (including containers) for at least 10-15 people to create their own cultures (OVAS will reimburse any expenses with prior approval and receipts).  Please post here if you can bring some cultures, and PM me if you have any special needs to run a workshop.

Jody

I have some microworms and can bring stuff to do a demo with them.

Jody

missavgp

I have some daphnia, but am at a loss as to how to describe culturing it. I caught it in the spring with fairy shrimp and I just left it in the 5 gallon bucket outside all summer. Could bring some in though.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

Gilbotron

@Jody: Perfect.  Bring all the supplies for Microworms so people can create some cultures.

@Missavgp: Would you be able to explain/demonstrate how to maintain them (feed them, water parameters, how to get them to multiply, how to get them out and feed them to fish, etc.)?

tanksalot360

Live Food Workshops TONIGHT!

7:00pm Tom Brown Arena

https://goo.gl/maps/RdbmV1os4r22

Create your own live food cultures to bring home! 

During the meeting we will learn how to create various cultures, keep them going, and how to harvest them!

We will have...
White Worms
Vinegar Eels
Microworms

See you there!

Herstead

This was a great meeting. We really enjoyed learning about the different cultures. Only took home a vinegar eel cause they are the hardiest it seems.

I would schedule fire drills for different days in the future though.  :P

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Selenacrowe

Had a great time at the meeting thanks for the wonderful session!!

Gilbotron

Thanks to everyone for coming out and making for an excellent meeting!

We would like to do more of these interactive style meetings so if there are any other workshops or discussions you would like to see in the future please PM me or any of the Exec and we will see what we can do to put it together! 

And be sure to mark in your calendars our next event which is the mini-auction on Monday, November 27th.  There's bound to be some great deals and some exotic finds for plants, fish, inverts, corals, etc.!!!  More details to follow...

charlie

Thanks to all that joined us for the excellent meeting!, special thanks to our program chair( Gilbotron) whose brainchild it was to do the workshop.
The feed back was great from the attendees , our new feature of Q & A as  a prelude to the feature workshop started slow , but it was not long before participation warmed up.
It was certainly a pleasure to have so many new comers attending and obtaining memberships, thanks and welcome to the club. If last night is to be used as a measuring tool , i would say we are in for a great fishy season.
To the folks that missed the enjoyable evening ( Fire  alarm and all  ;D), make sure to check us out and join the fun for our Monday November 27th meeting, which will feature a" livestock, plants and coral mini auction"
See you in November !
Errol / "charlie"

charlie