New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angelfins shipping woes

Started by angelcraze, October 06, 2017, 03:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcraze

I'm starting this thread to warn local aquarist about a horrible first shipping experience I had with Angelfins.ca.  I ordered 20 super blue kerri tetras and two EB rams.  Canada post failed to deliver the one-day shipment I paid for on time.  I received them on Oct 4th in the afternoon instead of Oct 3rd.  

I added the new fish to my 40g QT tank, but had no where to put my gold tetras (since they are too tiny for my other fish as tankmates), so the tank had 9 gold tetras and a male BN pleco.  

Well, Angelfins accidentally only sent me 18 kerri tetras.  Only one was DOA upon delivery.  I quickly "Plop&Dropped" the fish into a dark bucket of tank water to let them acclimate to light in safe water-get them out of that fouled water as soon as the bag is exposed to air.

I could tell something was wrong with one of the ram's head.  I thought it was an injury at first and took precautions to keep it clean, I added IALS and ParaGuard.  As the fish started to settle and color up, I noticed the injury looked more like lymphocystis 😨

I know the EB ram nurseries in Germany are epidemic to lymphocystis, but the site said these rams were "tank raised and accustomed to Guelph hard water", so I took this as locally bred.  Am I wrong to assume this?  Is this statement not deceiving?  

I sent vids, pics, they still are refusing more info (I offered to send some of this lymphocystis virus) and are refusing more Pictures.  They are saying they didn't send me a sick fish,  even though it's scientificly impossible that they were not infected with the virus at least 30 days before exhibiting symptoms.

They just don't care.

They are refunding me my shipment costs, and told me to euthanize all the fish in my tank.

Luckily, lymphocystis doesn't affect catfish, as we know so far, so I don't have to kill my BN pleco.

This is devasting.  Here's a vid of the two rams I received on the 4th.
https://youtu.be/ei7tkILwjiY

I also posted some pics, best I could get so far of the stressed fish
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

angelcraze

Nvrmnd the pics are too large?

Well, decide for yourselves, based on the vid, I'm warning not to buy Electric Blue rams from Angelfins.ca.  They said their systems are closed, and even though there's a German ram in the pic with the EB rams or vice versa, they claim they don't keep them together anymore.  I wouldn't take a chance of I were you!  This has been a devastating experience for me.

I now have to either euthanize all my fish, sauf the BN  pleco, and run bleach through the filters and my 40g tank.  Then,  start all over.

I will never EVER add new fish with my own fish ever again.   Sad sad lesson learned.

matttimms49

Really sorry to hear that. I've only bought small things from there before, no livestock. Thanks for the information and hope that you work something out.

CC-Slider

Quote from: angelcraze on October 06, 2017, 03:23:28 PM

I now have to either euthanize all my fish, sauf the BN  pleco, and run bleach through the filters and my 40g tank.  Then,  start all over.

I will never EVER add new fish with my own fish ever again.   Sad sad lesson learned.

I had not heard of this disease and from what you said about it sounded awful if the only choice was to euthanize all your fish. So I did a quick search and it seems it can be cure it may take time, but from what I found it can be done. Here is the link.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/lymphocystis-info-and-cure.69537/

Now maybe I am misunderstanding, that is very possible, so if there is a reason for  euthanize over trying to cure them please elaborate. As we are all here to learn.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

angelcraze

Thanks for the replies.  The virus is not curable, but a fish can go into "remission." It may never have an outbreak again, and chances are reduced with prestine water conditions.  But every fish in the tank (except lesser order fish like catfish) have been infected with the virus for life.  The virus is not usually fatal in itself, but the enlarged cells aren't nice to look at and the virus will weaken the fishes' immune system and increase chances of secondary infections.

I have decided for now to move the fish to a QT tank completely separated  (far away from my others).  I have disinfected everything to do with their old tank.   I guess I'll keep a lymph QT tank until all the fish die.  I just can't risk this virus getting mixed with my own tanks, stock or anywhere else.  But if the EB ram they sent me has lymphocystis, then all their EB rams have it.  I'm angry with Angelfins, now I have another tank to take care of and keep QT'd forever, but what choice do I have besides send the fish back, which probably would have killed them or euthanizing them like they suggested? 

angelcraze

Well, I moved the fish to a forever QT tank away from my other tanks because of the suspected Lymph and three days ago I saw a couple anchor worms on one kerri tetra!   Who gets anchor worm with their aquarium fish????  Angefins- Horrible fish store for livestock!!!!!
https://youtu.be/HPekoxr112Y