New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How to get started in Cichlids?

Started by Box Jockey, October 14, 2017, 04:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Box Jockey

I'm looking to start my first Cichlid tank specifically Lake Malawi, I have a 55 cycled and ready to go! My problem is the only place that sells any near me is PetSmart and I don't want to buy any from them. So where do all you seasoned Cichlid keepers get your fish from? Do you have a favorite LFS, local breeder or just online?
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

k1ng

Definitely keep an eye on the local classifieds. Kijiji is the main one I use and you can find some pretty healthy stock on there.

Mike L

Trip to Montreal or Toronto. There are a couple of online venders as well. Make sure to keep dosing ammonia until a day or 2 before the stock is in.
Mike

Mike L

You
also will likely find some decent fish a big Al's. What Malawi fish are you planning to house? 

Box Jockey

Great question Mike L! I'm looking at a general Malawi tank haps,  peacocks and mbunas. Any advice for a nubie is welcome.
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Mike L

Haps and peacocks male only. About 9 or mbuna only 3 species max with 1 male to 3 female of each. Mbuna tank LOTS of rocks in 2 pile nearly to the top. With haps and peacocks just some rocks. Mbuna for the most part are too aggressive and any haps or peacocks will not be at their best with them.  Mbuna the males and female have nice colours while the haps and peacocks its the males only. Will pm you shortly. Mike

Jeff1192

My Pseudotropheus Saulosi breed like crazy and I'm slightly over run right now. If you want PM me.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Mike L

If you go mbuna soulousi is a good start. I would be inclined to placing all the fish you intend to keep in at once if possible.

Box Jockey

I have heard if you add cichlids six at a time it should mitigate territorial aggression. Is this true?