New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 equipment

Started by phatty, October 15, 2017, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatty

good morning everyone,
i am new to the forum and planning to go compress CO2 for my 120 gallon planted tank,
just wonder where can i get a good quality tank for a decent price? and regulator? thinking of getting the 5lbs or a couple of small paint ball tank but not sure which route to go ?
looking for your suggestion
and thank you in advance

StuM

I Recently purchased a new 5Lb Aluminum tank at Defalcos (957 Gladstone) for $80 and then had it filled at Davidson (144 Percy) for $25. Purchased a regulator from Jason at Critter Jungle. Easy, convenient and friendly service from all companies.
StuM

phatty

Was thinking about the same too,
Defalcos and David,and Jason too. But the solinoid will cost me close to 200$ for just the solinoid...

charlie

I would not advise paintball tanks for a 120 gallon tank, may very well find yourself refilling/ swapping tanks every 2 weeks if not more frequent.
I suggest a minimum of 10 lb , ideally 20 lb tank.
While the upfront cost of larger bottles are more costly, the refill cost from a 10 lb to a 20 lb is approximately 5 to 6 more than the 10 lb.
Regarding regulators, I suggest doing extensive research on all the commercial hobby units available, it's one area you should not cheap out on.
I can discuss subject further privately.
Regards

Gilbotron

Agreed with Charlie on Painball CO2.  I'm running one on a 10g, and it lasts just less than a month and is very inconsistent - as the cannister depletes (and pressure drops), the amount of CO2 injected drops drastically resulting in lots of algae.  I have to open the needle valve every couple days to keep up with the pressure decrease. Very difficult to achieve balance - needs constant tweaking and monitoring.

For a 10g, it does the job and the algae clean up is manageable, but for a 120 you would be hard pressed to keep a constant supply going for more than a couple weeks and the algae cleanup would be a lot more involved.

lucius

A little further out but there is a place in Gatineau called Pyromateck you can get CO2 tanks from.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=59542.0

Back in June, I picked up a 10 lb aluminum tank for $95.00 plus tax.

phatty

due to space, I pick up a 5lb from defalco, and a regulator from one of the member here for a decent price, which have build in clipard solenoid and very nice needle value. was going to pick up a Dici from critter but Jason sold out of it...
so I guess I am ready for this injection just need to do my calculation for bps :)

phatty

right now I have my CO2 injection solenoid connected to my light timer so when ever light is on my co2 will be on, but do you guy recommend PH controller along with alkine buffer? so that I can achieve redder plant (higher Co2 without crashing the PH)?
if yes please let me know if any of you are willing to part from your PH controller :)