New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Looking for advice for temporarily moving my fish

Started by Jeff1192, October 31, 2017, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I have a 90 gallon cichlid tank and I need to temporarily move the fish from the tank. Long story short I had a minor flood in my basement and they need to replace the laminate flooring that the tank is sitting on. I'm hoping that I can only have them out of the tank for a couple of days.

I'm thinking that I can set up 2 large rubbermaids in  different part of the basement with a heater and a filter running on each. I can then split the tank stock between the 2 rubbermaids.

Just wondering if anyone has a better idea or sees any problems with my plan.

Thanks
Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

sas

I've done the Rubbermaid setup.
Used it when we redid one of our 77g.
The only issues we had were, used too big of a tub, length wise and it started to bow, so hubby pulled out the ratcheting straps and some wood to reinforce the sides ;D
As well keep the tubs partially covered to reduce stress.
I'd think it would also be a good idea to put the totes up on some wood, to keep them off the cold floor.
I'm sure others have good ideas as well.

Mike L

No food 2 days before, 50% water change the night before then take  60 or 70% of that water into the tub and top with new water. . Keep in mind that your substrate house the bulk of the bb in your tank. If you can keep the substrate in the tank fill with water to a couple of inches above and run some stones for circulation. Agree with no lighting to reduce stress. And no food.

bergenm

Don't let the heaters touch the side/bottom of the containers.
Michael

Mike L

Jeff1192

With the joy of insurance claims I'm still waiting for a schedule for when the work is going to be done. Not annoying at all....insert sarcasm here  >:(

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Jeff1192

So finally got the repairs started Tuesday but with no firm timeline to finish I decided it was safer to drain the tank, put fish in Rubbermaid's with air stones then set the tank back up in my unfinished space in the basement and transfer the fish back to the tank it took almost 5hrs but everyone is safely moved and all survived. Now to do it all again next week hopefully.

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

So after having the tank set up in the storage area of my basement for over a month I did the move back to it's normal spot a few weeks ago. Took about 4hrs to transfer fish to Rubbermaid's, tear down, set back up and put the fish back in. I couldn't get the rock work quite as high as it used to be on the one side so I'll have to go rock hunting in the spring for a little more rock. But had no losses in either transfer and am relatively happy with the new aquascape.

I'll try to get a photo of the new scape up. I'm getting an error message trying to do it right now with my Ipad

- George Orwell

charlie

Good to hear all went well, eases the pain of the time and frustrations  ;)

Jeff1192

So here's the rescape. Like I said I'm not totally happy with it and will be getting some more rock for the left side. I'd like to get the rock almost to the surface on that side.

- George Orwell