New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Canister Filter Biomedia Question

Started by AngelaM, November 06, 2017, 08:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelaM

So I've decided to go with a canister filter on my new tank and was wondering what the best biomedia is. In my previous canister, I used the aquaclear biomax media. Is there a better option out there?

Mike L

All media house bb so a filter pad will have lots. Seachem matrix, marine pur from ceramedia and biohome have very good reputations as bio media.
I've been doing a lot of research on filtration over the past couple of months because there is a growing move to full nitrification and new ways to achieve this. Of course planted wants nitrate I'm guessing . Cichlid keepers do not.
Benificial bacteria grow on every surface in your tank especially your substrate depending on what it is. Some substrates house more then others. Aragonite is very good at housing bb. There is a  gathering train of thought that we are wasting our time and money putting it in the filter because there is more then enough in the tank and most filters simply can't house enough to make a difference so we should be doing mechanical filtering only. Not convinced myself but I have converted 1of 2 20 longs I have to mechanical only to see what happens.
This is a truly great question that I hope gets lots of response. There are several people on this site that are extremely knowledgeable so I hope we hear from them.
Mike

Box Jockey

I have my canister filled with corse sponges and bioballs. I'm beginning to think that all you need is surface area and water flow for filtration, the he rest can be taken care of with water changes.

I'm seriously considering a DIY under-gravel filter for the shell dweller tank we have been taking about!
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Mike L

I removed all my DIY undergravel 6 years ago because they were nitrate factories. I found it almost impossible to keep the nitrates below 20 ppm between water changes and switched to fine Aragonite or sand. Also can't have undergravel with sand anyway .  Very happy with the decision

Black_Rose

Quote from: Mike L on November 06, 2017, 09:25:00 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on filtration over the past couple of months because there is a growing move to full nitrification and new ways to achieve this. Of course planted wants nitrate I'm guessing . Cichlid keepers do not.
Benificial bacteria grow on every surface in your tank especially your substrate depending on what it is. Some substrates house more then others. Aragonite is very good at housing bb. There is a  gathering train of thought that we are wasting our time and money putting it in the filter because there is more then enough in the tank and most filters simply can't house enough to make a difference so we should be doing mechanical filtering only. Not convinced myself but I have converted 1of 2 20 longs I have to mechanical only to see what happens.
This is a truly great question that I hope gets lots of response. There are several people on this site that are extremely knowledgeable so I hope we hear from them.
Mike

This makes me think of the large tank my father had while I was growing up (late 70's)
I think it was around 100 gallons and ran on nothing but a corner filter with some floss and carbon in it.
Definitely not a big enough filter to house all the BB for a tank that size.

Mike L

My uncle did the same. Tanks with silver edging on all corners and one box filter. And now we know that carbon is good for removing meds and not much else. Thank you for stirring memories.