New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ideas for a 13 liter/3.4 gallon tank

Started by Black_Rose, November 08, 2017, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Rose

We have an Aqua One Reflex 13 tank we bought in the spring.

It was originally used for a Betta, but the internal pump is rated at 320 l/hr  (70+ GPH) and was too strong for the Betta even after trying several different ways to reduce/redirect the flow.

I'm considering using it for my better cherry shrimp, but I'm concerned they might try and climb out since the water level needs to be kept fairly high and the included lid leaves gaps at the front/back.

The flow rate is probably too strong for shrimp as well.

Anything else we might be able to put in this tank?

matttimms49

I have a 3.4 gallon with chili Rasboras and a scarlet Badis. Been in the for a year now and seem to enjoy it.

Black_Rose

Is it a cube style tank or standard rectangle?

The reflex is cube style.

matttimms49

its the first image on this post:

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=60804.0

kinda half way between a cube and rectangle haha

Gilbotron

A single pea puffer could work if you have a good live food source.  Would need to be heavily decorated so he/she doesn't get bored though.

Could also do a small school of CPD's - they like flow and aren't terribly active necessitating a lot of space. 

Black_Rose

I currently have a ton of pest snails, more than needed to feed my assassin tank.
Whenever I go over to Big Al's I love watching the pea puffers.
I think the flow woukd be too much for them.
I have an empty 10 gallon (they're like rabbits, they keep reproducing) we're planning on setting up for a pair of puffers.

This tank is only 8w x 9l x 10h, so not a lot of room.
I'll check out the needs of the CPD's.

AngelaM

Quote from: Black_Rose on November 09, 2017, 08:37:53 AM

This tank is only 8w x 9l x 10h, so not a lot of room.
I'll check out the needs of the CPD's.

I kept CPD in a 15gal jungle planted tank before moving to Ottawa. They were pretty undemanding...good food, clean water. I even had them breed for me. However, the original group was always quite shy and hid whenever I came close. I would feed them then sit in the dark to watch them eat so that I could get a good look at them. The tank raised fry were a bit bolder but they were no zebra danios.

matttimms49

I've been pretty lucky with my CPD's in that they have never been shy. I keep  them with two endlers though so I think they let the guys no its safe to come out and play about.  :)

Any updates on what you plan to stock?

Black_Rose

Nothing to report yet.

Some days I want to drain it and put it back in the box, but for now I have the tank running, just to let some biofilm develop on the glass and plastic in case I do figure what to put in it.

Whatever I decide on will need to be ok with the temperature at 79-80, as that's what the Aquatop heater in it holds the temp at.