New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rebirth of the 120xh

Started by Gilbotron, November 13, 2017, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbotron

This is the redo of my 120XH (5') tank since my previous one sprung a leak and had to be vacated promptly.  I was a little crunched for time so I could get all my inhabitants out of their buckets and back into a tank once it arrived, so still a work in progress.  Its also still very dusty from planting in the flourite, but that should clear up in time.  I need an underwater swiffer...

I did invest significant time in the hardscape so that will likely not change much.  Maybe add another tree on the right and place the smaller rocks a little more. I also intend to add a layer of pea gravel all over to smooth out the appearance and get some more neutral tones.

Plants took a beating floating in buckets for over a week and haven't quite straightened out yet so its looking a little scraggly (and the crypts melted significantly so not as jungley as I would have hoped but they'll fill in over time).  And yes it is a little brighter on one side as I am blasting some extra light temporarily to stimulate some algae growth for my algae eaters. 

Only one fish casualty from temporary living in buckets - my Panda Garra decided to jump out one night - I guess he missed his old tank.  Too bad - he was a rare find (read: fluke).

This will be a low tech setup - low light, easy plants, no CO2, no ferts other than a couple root tabs.  Flourite substrate.  EHeim Pro 3 filter and a DIY trickle filter.
Flora: Crinum Calimistrata, crypt crispatula (i think), anubias nana, anubias nana petite, anubias nana petite golden, bolbitis, buce (2 varieties, not sure which), and some left over java fern that will get removed once tank is more established.
Fauna: ~50 harlequin rasboras, ~20 dwarf chain loaches, 2 emperor tetras, 2 moth cats, twig cat, red lizard cat, royal whiptail cat, banjo cat, yoyo loach, dwarf african frog and a really sad looking angel (pet store rescue).  Will be adding back in 4 kribs, whiptail cat, 6 golden dojo loaches and a ruby shark when tank is a little more established. 

Funny story: I didnt intentionally add the frog - I just saw him swimming in there after the dust settled.  He was in another tank where some of my rocks and plants were, so must have either hitched a ride, or moved himself!  Im inclined to think he moved himself because I inspected every piece very carefully to avoid such a situation (although it was a very long day)!!!

Jody

Looks good Gilbotron!

Keep posting pictures as it grows in.

Jody

barefoot_golfer

Looks great Gilbotron!     Love to see bi monthly progress pictures