New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pricing of salt-water aquarium

Started by cavit8, November 21, 2017, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavit8

Hi all

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on pricing for selling my aquarium. I acquired it from a friend and I haven't really caught the bug and I'm finding with traveling etc. I'm not  able to dedicate the time it takes to maintain it properly.

From sources I've been able to glean on the interwebz, I could base my pricing at $1 per gallon for the tank itself (50g), 60% retail for higher end/new equipment (LED lights I added in my case), and between $3-$5/lb for live rock. Other equipment (e.g. pumps, heater, skimmer are all old and in some cases on last legs) and stand would be no charge nor for the psychotic killer clown fish or her turbo snail tank mates.

Does this sound reasonable for pricing? It's a natural reef tank with live sand filtering (i.e. no mechanical filtering apart from the skimmer) so requires a fairly low bioload unless you like changing the water a lot. I'm not sure if that factors into the pricing.

Thanks for any help.

Dxpert

I've always had success by researching in different cities (Toronto, Vancouver, etc) on Kijiji to figure out pricing. I wouldn't normally pay more than 50% of retail for used equipment, especially LED's.

Darth

agreed rock sells for typically $3 per lb equipement i personally never spend more than 50% pretax retail. too much 4isk to pay more

Darth

for the tank  $1 per gallon under 75 gal maybe a bit more if its drilled. $1.50 to $2 per gallon for over 75 the higher end being reef ready. condition scratches seals etc