New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Air pump suggestions

Started by matttimms49, November 21, 2017, 06:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Looking to get an air stone in my 40 gallon breeder and will need an adequate air pump for the job. I'm looking for reliable suggestions.

I like the look of the aquaeon quietflow as it has an inbuilt check valve. but is it actually quiet??

As always all your opinions and suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers,
Matt

Gilbotron

I've used 2 of the Quietflows (10 & 40?) with mixed success.  For a simple airstone they work great and are quiet, but if ever you get a kink or blockage in the airline tube they get very noisy (I guess early warning there's an issue).  My issues were because of this - I buried the tube under the substrate and it eventually got compressed too much.

Like all airpumps the noise will depend on the surface they are put on as they vibrate a lot.  So placing it on a loose plastic canopy will make a racket.  So make sure you get enough length on the airline tube to place it on a nice solid surface so there is no rattle.

Ive also used some older Tetra pumps (100 & 300) and they were equally quiet.

Black_Rose

I have Quietflow (10, 20, 60) and Tetra (10, 40) air pumps in my fleet.

Currently using a Quietflow 20 to power an ATI Sponge filter 2 (with airstone inside) in my 20 high. It's inside my cabinet sitting on some foam to keep the vibration/noise down.

I'm using a Tetra Whisper 40 to power a pair of Swiss Tropical 3 inch cubefilters. It's sitting on the table and I don't notice it running.

I've got a Quietflow 60 (dual outlet) with one outlet running a pair of airstones in a 10 gallon. The other outlet is running a Seapora Breeder 30 sponge filter in a 16 gallon tank.
The pump is in the corner, so it sounds louder than it really is.

I like the Quietflow pumps because they have a smaller footprint and the built-in check valve.

I've found noise wise that they are similar and as Gilbotron mentioned, where you place them can affect how loud or quiet they are.

matttimms49

great, thanks for the advice guys. I think I will look to get an aquaeon one to try it out as It's just going to be a simple airstone, hidden in the back corner. I think it will be good.

Thanks for the opinions :D