New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shere your Under Gravel Filter or Under Gravel Jet Knowledge

Started by Box Jockey, November 22, 2017, 12:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Box Jockey

I have been experimenting with both as DIY projects lately. I was looking for anyone with long-term experience using either to share their knowledge with me (best design, flow rate or situations where one is superior to another). 

I currently have a DIY under gravel Jet setup with my 35 Hex, 3" of red fluorite caped with 1 1/2 " of course sand powered by a 200GPH pond pump . My other is a 50 tall with DIY under gravel filter covered with 2" of standard aquarium gravel, powered by air stone.
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Mike L

I used to keep undergravel filters run with powerheads in all my tanks supplemented by cannister or hob. Dispite 50% plus weekly water changes with gravel vaccuming  and a close eye on feeding habits my nitrates rose quickly. A fellow cichlid keeper convinced me to get rid of them and go sand. Tried this on my biggest tank and 2 months later I switched all my tanks over.  Glad I did. Ditrius sits on top making it easy to vacuum and my nitrates stay half what they used to be between water changes.

Now the jet system seems like a different beast. Filtering water and then pushing it into the substrate to force debris out of the substrate makes a lot of sense. How are the 2 ways working for you. More details on both setups  regarding stock, plants etc. Plus what the water changes are on both tanks and nitrate readings