New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Powerhead or extra HOB??

Started by matttimms49, November 23, 2017, 11:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to ask again for everyones opinion on something.

I recently had to move my HOB to the left side of my 40 gallon breeder and since doing that I have noticed some detritus being left on some of my plants on the right side of the tank.

I was looking into it and was thinking of getting a powerhead to aid the flow on the right side of the tank. So I have a couple of question for you?

If I were to get a powerhead where would be the best place to put it, I imagine opposite the HOB. Would I then direct the flow to make a circular pattern in the tank or would It go directly against the flow of the HOB?

I keep very small fish in my tank. So would it be advisable to get a powerhead that is below the recommended GPH so its a little gentler on the fish or should I go for something recommended for 40 gallon breeder?

last question is......Is it worth just adding another HOB to the tank instead of a powerhead? Obviously this would mean I wouldn't be able to direct the flow as well.

There we go. Please advise with all your useful and helpful opinions  :)

Thanks,
Matt