New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Filter shrimp

Started by zolta, December 03, 2017, 08:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zolta

Or should I say filter dwelling shrimp.
I finally got around to rinsing out my two canister filters on my large tank, been just under a year, there were more shrimp (Red Cherries) living there than in the tank!  Easily a over a hundred.

Who knew?
65 gal tall planted

cdylnicki

Haha that's crazy!!

I had the same but it was with 7 baby bushynose plecos!

Kelly

I need to get a foam around my intake, just noticed 11 baby bushy nose pleco's in my tank, god knows if any made it into the filter. They're certainly small enough. I'm going to do a filter check this week.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

matttimms49

I've been struggling to get a filter sponge big enough for an aquaclear 70. I found 5 shrimp in there and a white cloud in my filter after a month of thinking him gone :( he had bounced back to full health now.

I've tried a fish net but that clogs up to fast and the small fluval intake sponge clogs as well.

Love those shrimp findings though, shame you didn't find them before the auction ;)

bergenm

QuoteI've been struggling to get a filter sponge big enough for an aquaclear 70.

I have sponges on all of mine - what I do is take an AC70 sponge and cut it in half (to make two covers), I then stand them on end and cut a deep X in them with an Xacto knife and then stick them on the intake. They usually last 6-12 months before they start to break down.

You will still get a few babies that will get through but the numbers will be greatly reduced.
Michael

matttimms49

nice idea, thanks. I may try it with some black sponge so it blends a little more with my BG.

bergenm

QuoteI may try it with some black sponge so it blends a little more with my BG.

I did try the black sponges from BA and found the did not last as long for this use, but they did look better...
Michael

Black_Rose

Quote from: bergenm on December 04, 2017, 12:30:05 PM
I did try the black sponges from BA and found the did not last as long for this use, but they did look better...
What happens to them? Do they break down over time?

ksj

I took a piece of panty hose and tied it over my intake pipe to keep snails out. Also, would you be willing to sell me 3 of the reddest you have? I'm making a nanotank for my nieces birthday.
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

bergenm

QuoteWhat happens to them? Do they break down over time?

The black foam is a bit more rigid, so after a couple of months the initial cuts for the X had torn to the edges of the foam.

Whereas the AC70 foam doesn't tend to tear, but after 6 -12 months it can start to loose it's structure and you will see the side start to bow in, that's when I replace them.
Michael

Kalinkacat

Where do you buy this AC70 Foam?

matttimms49

you can get it in most pet stores that stock Aquaclear filters. Big Al's, La Niche, Critter Jungle, Petsmart etc

bergenm

AC70 foam is just the regular Aqua Clear foam insert from Hagen.
Michael