New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Apistogramma borellii -got it right

Started by charlie, December 08, 2017, 12:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

In early August, i was visiting the GTA area and was on a very hectic schedule , so no time for hobby shopping. I did however called Tommy from Shrimp Fever and asked him if he can bag me a pair of apistogramma borellii since i just had enough time to get in and out of the store.
The pair spawned a couple of weeks after and a few more times since , each time i removed the male but the female took the free swimmers each time. A few weeks ago  i noticed them getting in the mood again and decided i would leave the male in the tank this time, Viola !! they got it right and now have some fry swimming around yay !!!!!!!!!
Will try to catch a picture later

fischkopp

Females can beat the heck out of any male when they are guarding fry. They have very good parental instincts / behaviour. I always found that's best to keep dwarf cichlids alone and so they can do "their thing". They have always been better at it then me.

Recently got a dozen or so borelli as well, still very young, need to grow them out. Neat little guys though, curious to see how they color up. Which ones do you have?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on December 08, 2017, 04:32:00 PM
Females can beat the heck out of any male when they are guarding fry. They have very good parental instincts / behaviour. I always found that's best to keep dwarf cichlids alone and so they can do "their thing". They have always been better at it then me.

Recently got a dozen or so borelli as well, still very young, need to grow them out. Neat little guys though, curious to see how they color up. Which ones do you have?
So far so good, not much aggression since dad is keeping away.
here is a picture of dad

Jody

Nice!
Congrats charlie!

Want me to write it into your BAPs file?

Jody

charlie

Quote from: Jody on December 08, 2017, 11:57:37 PM
Nice!
Congrats charlie!

Want me to write it into your BAPs file?

Jody

Definitely! ;)

charlie

No baby pics yet , proving to be quite difficult , since mom sends the warning as soon as I get close to the tank and everyone skuttles out of sight :)

cdylnicki

Lol. Now THAT is the look of an angry mom guarding her babies!

charlie

Quote from: cdylnicki on December 10, 2017, 10:48:44 AM
Lol. Now THAT is the look of an angry mom guarding her babies!
Yes it was  :D,
Got a few in frame this morning, just before they did the  houdini trick  ;)

fischkopp

Nice color. Hope the little ones do well!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031