New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ADA 60p Revival vers. 2018

Started by daworldisblack, January 05, 2018, 12:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

Quote from: exv152 on January 24, 2018, 04:43:37 PM
They are cool, i like epiphytes like orchids.

I will check out Rona, thanks Brian.

Not sure about the Merivale location but the Rona on Innes Rd. is now a Lowes' and they no longer have greenhouse full of plants.

aciport

Quote from: exv152 on January 24, 2018, 06:13:18 PM
Only the roots grow in gel. The rest of the plant is emersed.

Full disclosure, I'm Kyle from Tropica North America.

In vitro plants are grown with two forms of media, a gel, which most people are familiar with, and liquid, which Tropica has been using for the majority of our plants for almost two years now. H. pinnatifida is one that is grown in the liquid media. It has been shown that with the liquid media, plants do grow in their submersed form rather than emersed as they do in gel. This has been tested by a professor at the University of Copenhagen who we work closely with.

So...yes, HP does grow in its submersed form and I will stand by my comment that there may be issues with respect to fertilization rather than transitional melt.

charlie

I was waiting for Rah to chip in, I suspect the HP. in Rah's tank did not come from tropica 1-2 grow, subject to correction.

aciport

Quote from: charlie on January 25, 2018, 02:52:10 PM
I was waiting for Rah to chip in, I suspect the HP. in Rah's tank did not come from tropica 1-2 grow, subject to correction.

The reference that I am trying to correct was specific to Tropica 1-2-Grow and the stated fact that the melt was caused by the plants being grown in their emersed form. It's subtle, but it does set our plants apart from other producers. :)

charlie

Quote from: aciport on January 25, 2018, 03:39:40 PM
The reference that I am trying to correct was specific to Tropica 1-2-Grow and the stated fact that the melt was caused by the plants being grown in their emersed form. It's subtle, but it does set our plants apart from other producers. :)
No trouble , I understand and appreciate what you are addressing.
As I mentioned i have not experienced any melt with the 1 2 grow plants , i have used numerous species from the line.
Thanks for informing us.

exv152

Quote from: aciport on January 25, 2018, 02:43:02 PM
Full disclosure, I'm Kyle from Tropica North America.

In vitro plants are grown with two forms of media, a gel, which most people are familiar with, and liquid, which Tropica has been using for the majority of our plants for almost two years now. H. pinnatifida is one that is grown in the liquid media. It has been shown that with the liquid media, plants do grow in their submersed form rather than emersed as they do in gel. This has been tested by a professor at the University of Copenhagen who we work closely with.

So...yes, HP does grow in its submersed form and I will stand by my comment that there may be issues with respect to fertilization rather than transitional melt.

I'm sorry, when you say HP has been grown in liquid media, do you mean the entire plant is submerged and grown in liquid, or do you mean only the roots have been grown in liquid media?  I know I digress but the topic is interesting as a plant grower.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

aciport

Quote from: exv152 on January 25, 2018, 06:21:58 PM
I'm sorry, when you say HP has been grown in liquid media, do you mean the entire plant is submerged and grown in liquid, or do you mean only the roots have been grown in liquid media?  I know I digress but the topic is interesting as a plant grower.

There is about 1cm of liquid in the bottom of the cup where the culture is placed prior to sealing with the breathable top. Generally all cultures are fully submerged in the media at the time of production. Due to this and the high humidity in the cup, the plants grow in emersed form even if they are growing out of the liquid. I do not know the biological mechanisms behind this, but as I mentioned previously, this has been confirmed by the professor.

The anecdotal evidence that we do see is that there seems to be no lag in the plants growing after planting and there is minimal melt. Melt will occur simply based on plant health. If you have a very healthy plant, then it should take hold and grow immediately.

daworldisblack

Wow loads of buzz here! The HP was not 1-2 grow. It was growing fine in another tank. Its when I plucked out the new growth and planted them in the new tank, I noticed melting. So it could be that my balance is not right. Been dosing pretty regularly however.

I did have my Saurogyne Repens (1-2 Grow) melt on me to bare stems. Same thing has happened before in my previous build but they bounce back. Thanks for chiming in Kyle!

As for Air Plants, the RONA at hunt club seems to have them periodically, especially in the summer. I get mine from a store in Somerset called Plant and Curio. I like the wild emergent look perched on driftwood.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on January 26, 2018, 12:37:06 PM
Wow loads of buzz here! The HP was not 1-2 grow. It was growing fine in another tank. Its when I plucked out the new growth and planted them in the new tank, I noticed melting. So it could be that my balance is not right. Been dosing pretty regularly however.

I did have my Saurogyne Repens melt on me to bare stems. Same thing has happened before in my previous build but they bounce back. Thanks for chiming in Kyle!

As for Air Plants, the RONA at hunt club seems to have them periodically, especially in the summer. I get mine from a store in Somerset called Plant and Curio. I like the wild emergent look perched on driftwood.

I'm going to give HP and S.Repens 1-2 grow a shot in my 125g. I miss having those. I'm also going to give the air plants a go, thanks for the tip!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on January 26, 2018, 12:55:18 PM
I'm going to give HP and S.Repens 1-2 grow a shot in my 125g. I miss having those. I'm also going to give the air plants a go, thanks for the tip!

Lets see an update of that tank!

daworldisblack

Alas, tore this tank down - look for it in ads soon. So much dreams, so much aspirations but life got in the way. Last pic of it in its 'glory' before it overgrew and ultimately came to its own demise.

Follow New build here: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=61849.msg343954#msg343954

charlie

Any consideration to doing a simple low light  tank with undemanding plants?

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on January 13, 2019, 03:25:44 PM
Any consideration to doing a simple low light  tank with undemanding plants?

I think right now I'm onboard with med light system but smaller water body so water changes and top ups are faster and less plants so keeping on top of trimmings isn't too much of a hassle. Low light will def solve the latter but not the easier water changes and top-ups. One day I'll have a bigger tank like your 80G that will make it up for it all ;)