New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 ran out...

Started by phatty, January 16, 2018, 10:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatty

Today i check my 5lb tank and it is out... and Davidson close at 4:30 everyday which i cant get there until this friday.... will my planted tank survive? Or do you know anywhere else i can get it refill after office hour? And preferably in barrhaven or anywhere near it?

Dxpert

I have the same problem with their closing business hours, however I have found that going in the morning often works for me. They open early, at 7 or 7:30. So I arrive when they open, they fill my tank and I have enough time to get to work. I then replace the co2 after work.

There won't be any problems leaving it off for a few days, if you are dosing fertilizers I would stop or drastically reduce, you could also back off the amount of light so you don't get any algae problems.

lucius

You should consider getting a backup CO2 tank.  You could also dose with Excel for the next couple of days.

phatty

I am thinkin of geting a second tank for it... i disnt expect it to drop that fast... from 400psi to nothing...
But i got a good run from 900-500...

Dxpert

Once the tank drops below 500 it's all out of liquid, it will drop off very quickly from that point. Regulators also do not work well below 500psi so it's really worth changing the tank upon it hitting the 500 mark.
It doesn't cost anything more or less from 0-500psi, there is no liquid so really no weight difference.

If you can fit it under your stand consider getting a 10lb tank, they are cheaper to fill and last twice as long ;)

phatty

I wish my stand was taller... can i place the co2 tank on the side way?

exv152

Quote from: phatty on January 18, 2018, 08:32:22 AM
I wish my stand was taller... can i place the co2 tank on the side way?

It's not recommended. The liquid at the bottom of the tank may cause issues for the tank valve. It's recommended to keep the tank standing upright when operating a regulator.  

A dual stage (not dual gauge) regulator takes longer to deplete. For me it goes down from 500psi to zero in usually about two weeks, which gives me ample time to refill if needed. But i also have spare 10lbs tanks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g