New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is this plant, and do I REALLY need co2 for it?

Started by Black_Rose, January 23, 2018, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Rose

On Sunday I bought several bunches of plants to add some more hiding places for fish I'll have in a few weeks.

It was mentioned that with the light I have in this 10 gallon tank (Current USA Satellite LED +) that the plant (photo attached) would need CO2.

I don't use CO2 in any of my tanks at the moment.
Use of Seachem Excel was mentioned although it's not really liquid CO2.
CO2 tablets were also mentioned.

Although i have a bit if Excel left, I stopped using it after losing all of my young panda cories and a harlequin rasbora during it's use last year.

So...
Any idea what the plant is?
Will it do ok with just root tabs and regular Flourish plus the light?
Options for CO2?

Kalemh

It looks like lace leafl water sprite which should do just fine without co2. The light you mentioned shouldn't give you any problems and it will grow great if you give it root tabs and flourish. You do not need excel either. Hope this helps.

exv152

I've had it before, looks like hygrophila difformis and it doesn't need co2
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Gilbotron

Hard to tell from pic as you have the stems all bunched but its either ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite) or hygrophila difformis (water wisteria) as the others said. I'm leaning more towards the former. 

Both super easy, undemanding plants - no need for CO2 or Excel, don't really need any special ferts either, but they will definitely help.  You should plant the stems independently so the inner parts/leaves don't rot due to lack of light. They can both also grow floating. These plants will quickly take over your 10 with that light, as they grow very fast so be prepared to trim lots.  I've grown both and they routinely get over 16" tall but I tend to use very low light so I probably make them reach more than is usual...

Both very fun plants to work with as they grow like crazy with no intervention in just about any conditions.

Black_Rose