New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hi new to OVAS and fairly new to the hobby

Started by Shane4226, January 25, 2018, 04:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane4226

Hi so intro in to my stuff and such. I've just started in to this hobby at the end of November. It started out as my son asking to get one fish for a small bowl. It turned in to me doing lot of reading in other forums and going and buying a new 20 gallon high. I cycled it and planted it with jungle val lots of jungle val. Also adding in a bunch of hornwort. Got the test kit and tested water every day till was perfect. Then went in got my self 4 plateys 1 m 3 f cause that's what the lady told me to do. Also added a male dwarf gourmie which is my favourite lots of spunk and character. And added one upside down cat fish at the time cause I was told they were fine alone. After reading I found that they do better in groups so month later I got 2 more and it's amazing the change in the one I had before he's out and about all the time. I know this tank is a little over stocked but keep up on cleaning and water changes as soon as the nitrates get above 40 ppm I change 10-15 % and it brings them down lots. Now I've just started another tank cause I'm kind hooked in this hobby now. So the new tank is about 12 gallons got it used for 20 bucks with everything I needed. For this tank I've decided to go with a walstad tank design still in the early stages. Tank has 2-3 inch of organic potting soil capped with gravel I wanted it white or black cap but my 5 year old had to have the rainbow colour gravel so that's what we went with. We have planted some jungle Val moved over tons of hornwort to this tank. Looking for more plants but the budget has ran dry for this month so it's slow going. Seeded it with filter media from other tank. And cycled. Right now to keep the cycle going I'm growing out fry from my other tank so my son can see them grow. As of right now tank has been running for a month and a bit only have had to do 2 water changes of about 15 % as nitrates got little high. But now holding steady at 20-40 ppm.  Also if anyone is loOking for wag tail plateys or sunburst plateys will have lots soon for trade for plants.

Jody

Hi Shane
Welcome to OVAS and the hobby.
it sounds like you are doing things right and researching your tanks as you set them up.
There are quite a few plant people in the club so I am sure you will be able to get clippings and advice easily.

Jody

Shane4226

Ya I've been trying to find as much info as possible as it's becoming a great thing to do with my son that he really in-joys. Ok thank you very much. Also I was wondering if you new anyone that would know where to get a female dwarf gouromi?

charlie

Welcome to the community, feel free to ask away and share your new found love.
Regards