New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hello! New hobby for father and son!

Started by Senatorxmg, January 28, 2018, 09:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senatorxmg

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

My wife and I bought my oldest son a 20 gallon aquarium for Christmas as he had expressed quite a bit of interest in having one.  He loves going into the fish section at the pet store...finds watching them very calming.  He's 12 going on 13.

Since I'm a hockey dad to my youngest son and spend a ton of time with that one's interest (ok, it's my interest, too!!!!), I thought this was a perfect way to have something special with my soon-to-be teenager!

To be honest, I really had no idea about how to start up and manage an aquarium so I took it upon myself to learn so that I could share the information with my son as we started.  Wow....lots of "need to know" stuff!

Now I think I've caught the bug!! LOL  While the 20 gallon is not set up yet (still cycling the tank and doing water tests), I just purchased a 75 gallon for the future...great sale at Petsmart that I took advantage of.  We will learn together and then look at setting up the bigger tank a little further down the line.

I'm going to post another topic in the freshwater section looking for suggestions on how to stock the 20g tank appropriately.  Admittedly, this seems to be the most daunting part of the hobby so far for me!  Everything else is merely science at this point.

Thanks for having me!

Shane4226

Hi welcome to the forum. I'm new to the fish world to its a fun hobby to do with kids. When your ready to add fish if you like the look of the plateys I have a bunch of platey fry that should be ready to be rehomed in a couple weeks. Red wag tail and sunburst colouring.

charlie

Welcome to the community and the hobby,looking forward to following and helping if we can as you journey into a wonderful hobby.
Regards