New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wading into the saltwater hobby

Started by Box Jockey, February 06, 2018, 12:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Box Jockey

Hi salt fans,
I have only ever kept freshwater before and have never been thrilled by underwater gardening. In roughly three months time I would like to start my very first saltwater reef tank! I am currently preparing by reading everything I can on the subject and scouring Kijiji for any used equipment I think I might need. I would love to get some hands on experience ( I learn best this way) if anyone has time to teach?
This is a special project for me as it is going to be the first new fish tank in our new house (Arnprior), a reward for overcoming a serious health issue and a bonding experience for my wife and I (the first time she has shown any interest in the hobby).
I like to start a project with a long-term goal in mind so here is ours, I would like to keep a Maxima Clam and my wife wants a Mandarin Goby. Now i just need to work out all the steps in between lol Easy!
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Dxpert

Sounds like a great project, and well deserved!
I would be happy to share some of my experiences and show you my set up. You and your wife are welcome to come over on a weekend and spend a few hours talking. I'm also happy to lend you a few books.

What size tank you thinking to go with?

Box Jockey

Thanks Dxpert we will would love to take you up on your kind offer!

My wife told me we needed a min of 55 gallons to keep the Goby and a refugium to breed copepods, she has been doing some reading herself. This works out great for me as I just picked up a 55 form Gilbotron the other day! I also have a 20 tall that I could use as a sump, just need to do some research on how to make that. Another option I have available is to use the 55 as a sump for the pre-drilled 90 I'm currently using for Africans (rehoming fish before move). So many options that just generate further questions lol.

Things I'm doing in the meantime, getting confused looking at affordable reef lights options on Amazon! I also want a quality test kit, anyone have suggestions?
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

Salt

SUG.#1 GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD- MORE WATER VOLUME PROVIDES A BUFFER FOR MINOR MANAGEABLE MISTAKES THAT YOU/WE ALL MAKE FROM TIME TO TIME.

SUG#2 PLAN OUT YOUR BUILD

SUG#3 DON'T AUTOMATE YOUR SYSTEM UNTIL YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR TANKS PERSONALITY.  GET TO KNOW THE PARAMETER SWINGS, HOW MUCH OR LITTLE FOOD YOU FEED, MONITOR WITH ATTENTION AND LEARN FROM THE CHALLENGES YOU'LL FACE.  MAKE A SCHEDULE

SUG#4 DEAD ROCK AND DEAD SAND. AVOID PESTS

SUG#5 BE PATIENT- DON'T RUSH ANYTHING  ;)

LOVE THAT SALT WATER!

Darth

for me Id use the 90 gal. best advice go slow, take your time, madarins are great fish but you are looking at least a year to be able to sustain one. get some good lights, I personally run black boxes, and love them the cost is main factor for me. dry rock as stated before is great, but takes a bit longer for a cycle. Get an rodi unit this will save you form issues in the future. don't look into dosing anything till you start keeping corals, and don't dose what you are not able to test for. This is a rewarding hobby, there is a great frag swap meet going on this sunday in Ottawa, you are more then welcome to come meet other reefers ask questions you don't have to buy or sell, you can come just for info, and door prizes, pm me if you or anyone is interested in coming this sunday 12-5

charlie

Box Jockey

Thanks everyone so many great ideas! We will definitely be taking it slowly, still have two months before we get to live together again and start our project.

What Saltwater test kit would you all recommend (API, RedSea)?
We ordered a Refractometer from Amazon, if I bring it to the next meeting could someone show me how to use and calibrate it?
Thanks for the help everyone ;D

Darth

depending on the refractometer some have a solution some can be calibrated with rodi I use rodi to calibrate mine. there is a little screw in the front with rodi it should be set at 0 sg

Dxpert

sniggir

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I like your Idea of taking your current system and converting it. Also as stated starting with Dead Rock and Dead sand as stated then you dont have to worry about other peoples problems. For your Mandarin I would wait till you have a very established tank even longer than a year. For lights go with a reputable brand and wait it out for Kijiji deals but just remember most of these aren't cheap even used but quality is always the way to go. Also don't skimp out on your skimmer. I would have no problem having you over to see how I set up a tank if you like I am currently about to start a build for my eldest daughter so if you like as I come closer to the date I can send you a PM so you can come by.

and as stated before never rush nothing good happens fast is my philosophy

Pat 
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Box Jockey

Thanks Pat, I will take you up on your offer when you are ready.

I have bought the first parts of the plumbing system for the tank. An Eshopps Eclipse overflow and a Sicce silent return pump. My plan is to build the sump, install all the plumbing and fine tune the system during the week I have my radiation to help occupy all the free time I'll have.

Someone recommended I checkout BRS 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube, I have to say its been a great resource for a beginner saltwater hobbyists.

I'm going to be putting a lot of thought into the right protein skimmer for my tank and my budget. Currently I'm going to be using the 90 as the display and the 55 as the sump so I need something to handle that water volume.

sniggir

If you can I wouldnt use a hob over flow I would get the tank drilled much safer... if your hob loses syphon then you will have a big mess
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Box Jockey

Just a quick update!

Just picked up 125lbs. of live rock form someone who was leaving the hobby for collage. At $1.60 /lb. it was too good of a deal to pass up, I currently have it sitting in a 32 gallon Rubbermaid with a heater and power head. Also got myself Salifert Nitrate & Phosphate test kits and will be checking the levels weekly.

Fingers Crossed this all works out lol.

Salt

Hey Box Jockey,

Glad to see things are taking shape. Eshopp eclipse are nice looking- I run a Herbie style internal overflow which I believe you can achieve with the L model.

As for Skimmers  DONT SKIMP OUT HERE ;-p

I have seen beautiful systems run without skimmers, however I would NEVER suggest a skimmerless system to someone new-ish to the hobby.

if you're going to try to save money; do it on power heads or lights. DONT CHEAP OUT ON SKIMMER OR HEATERS.

My two cents :-)