New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Weird growth

Started by neon1423, February 21, 2018, 05:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon1423

Hey can anyone identify this weird growth I've got coming from United Christmas moss?

neon1423

Just noticed I posted this on tank builds not in plants. Can someone move this for me?

lucius

Interested in knowing as well.  My weeping moss does the same after a few months of growth.

jetstream

High chance it's Utricularia gibba. Belongs to same family as Utricularia graminifolia. Where both of you bought your plant from? ;) 

Kalinkacat

I had this and brought it into one of the meetings for identification.  I was told it was a carnivorous plant similar to a venus flytrap plant and will eat baby shrimp.  I had a really hard time getting rid of it.

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on February 21, 2018, 10:15:44 PM
High chance it's Utricularia gibba. Belongs to same family as Utricularia graminifolia. Where both of you bought your plant from? ;) 
X2

neon1423

cool in a very not cool way. Most of my plants were harvested from the same tank when it started leaking, the rest were harvested from my father whos had them for years. Not sure where it came from.

Easiest way to get rid of it is?

Kalinkacat

I just kept plucking it out whenever I saw it but it grows from any little bit left in the tank.  It also breaks apart easily which makes it even more difficult to remove but persistence has paid off and I think I am free of the stuff now.

lucius

My weeping moss was from a Tropica pot bought at BA's.  I'm going to assume that they came from another source and just attached itself to the weeping moss.