New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Autofeeder

Started by Slipper, August 14, 2018, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipper

Hi
Which autofeeder do you use? Why?

Jody

Hi,

I have used the Eheim, AquaOne and Fish Mate 14 feeders.
They all work well.
Eheim and AquaOne are very similar. I haven't had an issue with either, though I don't like them for tanks where I need to feed only a very small amount, or need a fine food.
They work best for small pellets and flakes.
The Fish Mate is good. You portion each compartment and can use any amount of any type of food, or even mix. The only disadvantage is that they only feed for 14 days, so if you are gone longer, you may need to get it refilled.

Thanks
Jody

tanksalot360

I've always liked the Eheim everyday fish feeder, I think I've always bought them around 45$. And a similar big Als feeder goes on sale for 20-25$. The food stays dry, hopper is big and I'm happy with adjustments. Robust enough that I don't break them. I like being able to program more than once per day and more than a single rotation at each feeding. These don't survive being knocked into a saltwater tank, but they do survive fresh :)
When I go away, the Resun af-2009d's come out, because they were cheap! At 15$ each, I bought a bunch! Only downside is the flapping lid that keeps moisture out (most of the time)....but a little bit of moisture (bubbles or splashing) can cause it to stick shut - so I position away from the filter. Otherwise the smaller clips and twist-on hopper are a little more difficult to finess, but they do the job well and have all the programmable options I like.
I like the Nutrafin pro feeder also, easy to program - no time setting, just press program 1 or program 2 at the time you want to feed, and it maintains. Single rotation only, max 2 feedings. I've have a couple for 5+ yrs.
Loading the feeder, I mix a bunch of foods in a ziplock, then crush it with my hands for consistent size and equal feedings. Small pellets and flakes together, pellets can settle to the bottom over time.

I hope that's enough food for thought ;)

Slipper

So what could i use for fry. I was leaning toward the ehiem  everyday. And planned on making the opening smaller.

tanksalot360

Did you figure something out for fry? I imagine you could drill a small hole in the hopper opening cover on the Eheim, for the finely ground foods.

Slipper

I use an eheim everyday on the smallest setting with a mix of fry food, flake food, and crushed blue bug bites. I also add a couple snails in to eat leftovers. The fry pick at the snail poop.