Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Buying vs collecting rock (Setting up a 2nd larger aquarium)

Started by mole, January 06, 2004, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mole

Wasn't sure about what ratio to use and still have it be effective.  

I was going to let it soak overnight so I needed enough to cover entire rock surfaces and to account for the dead spaces between the rocks once piled into an adequate container.  Guess I could have reused the mix and spread the effort over a few nights.

For about $1.50 a bottle I figured better to have enough than to be short.  Guess I could the leftovers for cleaning the rocks as need done the road, good suggestion.

saltydog

The same bleach that kills harmful bacteria that might be on the rocks will also kill the good "cycling" bacteria & your fish & plants. Ensure that the bleach has been rinsed from the rocks afterwards.
-thankful for a tankfull-

gvv

If you dealing with african Cichlids, then collected stones are good and not only for pH, but also for hardness.
Just don't forget to clean it a little bit...

PDP

I Preffer spending the money on rocks like tuffa and lava just because they are usually drilled out and make a nice cave for the fish to smim threw and i also find they look more pleasing to the eye.

But if your saving money collect collect collect!

dpatte

for those collecting their own rock....

you should boil them when they are first collected to disolve any loose salts and minerals that might be leaching from the rocks.

Then let them sit in a mild solution of chlorine overnight (javex - with no extras like scents or softeners added) - this is to kill off bacteria. I use 1/2 cup in a 4 gallon pail.

The let sit in rinse tapwater overnight, twice..

when well rinsed they can be used in the tank.