Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Light Tubes

Started by shell, September 14, 2006, 01:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shell

I have a 33 gallon long and am using 2, 25watt aqua glo lights.  I bought a 25 watt cool white bulb at Rona last night, only to bring it home and discover that it was about 6 inches too long and way too thin to fit in my canopy.  I want to try the daylight delux tubes but cant seem to find the right size to fit.  I thought the size of the tube also went by the wattage, that all 25 watt tubes would be the same size.  I guess my only course of action would be to measure the part of the canopy where the tube would fit in and measure the light tubes at Rona.  Any suggestions?

darkdep

The wattage is USUALLY a good indicator but isn't the best way to go. 

Your tank is either 30" or 36" long.  That's a hard size to get decent bulbs for from HD/Rona (I know, I tried). 

Measure the area where the light bulb would fit, yes.  It won't be exactly a number that you expect (i.e the 36" measurement for bulbs includes the endcaps; so you may find a bulb is 35" or something like that.  But when shopping it's always a "normal" multiple like 30, 36, etc)

Measure the thickness too.  Sounds to me like your old bulb is a T12 light (1.5" wide) and you may have purchased a T8 bulb (1" across).

BigDaddy

I'm pretty sure the only 25 watt bulbs are T8F25 bulbs and T12F25, both of which are 36 inch tubes

T8 refers to the thickness in eighths of an inch (so 1 inch on a T8) and F25 stands for Fluorescent 25 Watts

Standard T8F25's are 36 inches in length.

That being said, most 3 foot tanks come with a hood that only houses 24 or 30 inch tubes (mostly 24 inchers).

Follow DarkDep's advice and take some measurements.  Better yet, bring one of your bulbs to Rona/HD and have a sales rep get you a replacement.

darkdep

However;  If your tube turns out to be 30", you're not likely to get a suitable replacement at HD/Rona.  They don't carry much in that size, and if they do it's only a cool white (which you probably don't want, because they don't look very good over a tank).  You may be forced to buy a more expensive tube at a place like Big Als.

I've never had so much trouble with finding suitable bulbs than I did with my 30.