Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Modifying lights for 8g tank...

Started by engfish, August 31, 2006, 10:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engfish

Hi all,

I have an 8g tank which I'm setting up in the next few days, but it has the standard 15w single tube, in a fitted tube. All the articles I've read recommend a minimum of 2 tubes for successful plant growing, backed up by my dismal failure to grow plants in my last tank- does this hold true for such a small tank?

Any suggestions as to how I could modify the lid, or possibly direct other lights into the tank without blinding the soon-to-be residents?!

BigDaddy

What is the length and width of the tank?  With proper dimensions, it would be easier to recommend alternate lighting solutions.

engfish

Hey :)

it's 50x26x26 in metric, 20x10x10ish in imperial!

Seanc

i have a 5.5, and i made my own hood, with two spiral CF bulbs. It was cheep, looks good, and works. I would try to use two bulbs, the ownly problem about it is that i have to take off the lid to clean it, but thats 10 min a week, so i don't mind.

engfish

wow ok, it had never crossed my mind to use the energy saver bulbs, but that sounds like a great idea. what wattage do use?  my lid is kind of flat, with a raised hump for the long tube in the middle, so i think if i chopped out the back portion and extended the hump all the way to the back of the tank, i'd be in business.

how did you connect up the bulbs, just with screw fittings on the end of a cable, like an extension cord?  is there anything you'd advise me on safety-wise? hope you don't mind me asking so many questions- it's just that i'm ok doing handywork, but don't know much about electronics, and feel alightly uneasy sitting extension cords above a fish-tank without some tips from someone who's done it! :-[   thanks for the great idea!

Seanc

Ok, i bought thoughs supper cheep white screw in bulb holders, they cost i think $1, i attatched two onto the hood, then i wired them togeter, and used the cord from an old toaster. I have a DIY glass hood that i mad out of some left over glass, so i don't have to wory about water.

I think i used the 14watt, but i could use the 24, it all maters on how much light you want.

good luck.
I can take some pictures later.

engfish

lol, ok, i'm not sure i'm competent enough with my electronics to attempt this... added to the fact that i'm a Brit, and don't even know how to wire a plug with only 2 pins yet! i guess i'm most worried about the water resistant factor...

i think i might go with a kit modifying hood for my own peace of mind! i found one (here- http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm) which seems as though it would fit inside of the tank, do you think 2x13w CF bulbs would be enough lighting for the size of my tank?

BigDaddy

Those are the same dimensions as my 10 gallon.  At my office, I have a 36 watt CF bulb mounted in a simple strip I made out of pine.  Very easy to make and not hard on the wallet.  I can take a pic of it tomorrow for reference.

Good medium light setup with a low profile and minimal heat.  Plus, because its a linear bulb, its much more effecient than the spirals.

engfish

ah ok, i probably worked out the wrong gallons  :-[ lol- i understand that English are different to US, but wasn't sure which system you use here!

that would be really great if you would take a photo for me, thanks for the help... i think i might venture down to Rona and get some bits... fantastic that it's easy on the wallet too, my budget is.... not very understanding of aquaria! :D

engfish

hey bigdaddy- don't suppose you'd be able to send me that photo through? would really be very helpful- the plants are getting by on the rather meagre lighting, but the vallisneria's suffering a bit, and the tank just looks a bit too dim to be at it's best right now..... thanks again :)