Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting Question - +10 000k too much for FW?

Started by Rudy00, September 15, 2006, 02:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy00

I was wondering what is considered too much in the of temperature when considering lighting for a fresh water system

would the spectrum from a 12 000k lamp not be useful?

BigDaddy

It's more about what appeals to your eyesight than what appeals to the plants.

If you like the look of a 12000K bulb over your tank, your plants will be more than happy to grow under them

The higher the K rating... typically the "bushier" your plants will tend to get... very general rule

Rudy00

any experiences as to what it'll do for the look of the tank?  I assume its a very bright white light?

mseguin

a 12,000K will probably be a bit bluish, if I'm not mistaken.

darkdep

I agree.  Just put some 10000k's up recently and compared to the 6500k's I'm used to, it's much more blue/purple.

Rudy00

mseguin

Again it all depends on what you like. I like the higher K rtatings as it produces a clearer colour, IMO, the lower like 5500are more yellow.

artw

I use 10,000K and combination 6,7000K and 10,000K bulbs and am very happy with the results.

darkdep

Rudy00

well it looks like i have no choice but to get this fixture then!
it comes with daylight 12000k bulbs , 4 of them if all goes well

RoxyDog

I was told plants like 6700k or around there.  That too much blue would be bad...therfore 12000k would be too blue.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

BigDaddy

Plants have no "preference" for light temperature... a study that was done showed less than 10% difference in plant growth between bulbs of different K ratings.

Now, that being said, actinic bulbs (which are exceptionally blue) ARE pretty much useless for plant growth

yellowtang

Hello there.
don't mean to put a bad posting, but are these PC,NO OR T5....?
However if they 're PCs I have never heard of 12000k.....
t5 don't think come on such configuration and NO max is 6700k.
But if if they are the good quality lamp PC.I would deff like to hear more about it.
;)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Rudy00

its a pc fixture, the k value was quoted from the seller, its an ebay purchase

BigDaddy