Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Future discus 90g pictures

Started by Rudy00, September 01, 2006, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy00

Just set this up last night - sorry for the bad camera work

[attachment deleted by admin]

Julie

It looks excellent - is it bare bottom?

gvv

There is some black sand on the bottom.

Look nice, but I prefer some background plants, that can close the back side, e.g. valisneria  :)

Rudy00

theres black quartz, its a bit thorwn around thanks to the filling,   As for background plants i only have 2x 48" t12 bulbs, would that be enough for some larger background plants? i have some more java fern that i intend to tie to some of the driftwood in the back and i would like to get some top cover plants from a member on the board when they become available

Toss

Hi Rudy

I had been using same lighting as yours and my plants were doing well. I recently add another tube, so total I have 120W, 3XT12 of 40W. It might work as well for your setup. Good luck.
This pic was taken when it was only 80W. Now the tank has 50% more plant.

Enrico

75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Seanc

looks good
i would add that othere tube, it will be good for you plants and not cost very much.

lots of open space for the discus to swim in, and space for them to hide, and feel secure because they can hide.
good luck

Julie

How's the tank going?  Have the new arrivals arrived? :)

Rudy00

My fixture is only a double, did you add a whole new fixture for the third light?  What kind of plants did you have going in the 75g?  Thats really pretty planted for a lower light tank -- Co2 or ferts in there?  I noticed that my anubias nana has some spots developing on it i think thats due to lower iron in the ottawa water? so i think i'll have to start adding some ferts to the tank

Well i had to move my canister filter media from north bay, about 4 hours away, i wasnt sure the bacteria survived so i'm stocking slowly and watching levels, I seem to be getting a nitrite spike currently

I also had to soften the water, i added black water extract and some peat to my canister and now the pH is sitting at 6.6-6.8 and steady which is great, i have 6 peppered corys that i added yesterday they're doing very well so far

i think i'll wait for a bit and watch my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels untill i add any more fish but i think i'm going to add some cherry shrimp within the next few days

What are people's thoughts on adding discus next and allowing them to settle or should i add my dithers first and then the discus?

Julie

Hi, the black water extract is rather pricey and you will get the same effect from the peat.

As long as ammonia and nitrite are zero, it's good for discus.   

Rudy00

Changed the lighting on my tank to 3X32watt T8's hopefully my plants will enjoy this

here it is so far with afew more inhabitants but still waiting on discus