Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recovering Dehumidifier Water

Started by darkdep, September 10, 2006, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muad'Dib

Quote from: DarkDep on September 11, 2006, 12:37:23 PM
Well, the chlorine thing would seem to be so that we, the homeowner, are not inconvenienced with having to replace carbon.  Can you imagine the lawsuits if someone dies from not changing their carbon?

Camping stores sell many different "non-boiling" water purification products.  Some appear to me to just be carbon.

Hmm ... I guess that's why we now have warns about ones hot coffee being HOT.... ;)
I guess the other thing is that in a metropolitain setting  it's easier to treat at a central location before distributing the water in the first place. (could you imagine how bad the water would be for those at the far end of the system? The longer it stayed in the pipes the longer it had to fester..  :o

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

BigDaddy

Quote from: DarkDep on September 11, 2006, 12:37:23 PM
Well, the chlorine thing would seem to be so that we, the homeowner, are not inconvenienced with having to replace carbon.  Can you imagine the lawsuits if someone dies from not changing their carbon?

Camping stores sell many different "non-boiling" water purification products.  Some appear to me to just be carbon.

Correction, carbon and iodine

darkdep

Many use iodine as well, you're right.

babblefish1960

And magick, don't forget some of the newer technology is just simply magick, there are no moving parts and nothing to see happening, so it must be magick, right? ;D

Besides, you'll get a whole passel of trouble if you start messing with things unseen, and though I appreciate your environmental stance, you're already using energy to pull water out of air, perhaps you could set up a distillery and make your own brand of hooch to go with the fishfood.

That way, you aren't throwing away water and producing another viable product, I'm almost certain you'd have little difficulty selling, so long as the neighbours don't notice the smell of mash. ;)

Sarah Bella

best you can do is test it out in an experimental tank,.  try it on a hardy fish first (betta maybe? im willing to donate one to science)  then gradually try less hardy fish.   Worst case scenerio you lose a couple fish in a controlled setting without harming any of your "good fish"...

dpatte

i dont recommed using water from a dehumidifier.

when the water condenses on the coils, it also brings with it all the air impurities, hair sprays, air fresheners, and vapourised teflon, etc .

Feed the dehumidifier to a drain pipe and let it go.

Iceman

Quote from: dpatte on September 16, 2006, 01:21:58 PM
i dont recommed using water from a dehumidifier.

when the water condenses on the coils, it also brings with it all the air impurities, hair sprays, air fresheners, and vapourised teflon, etc .

Feed the dehumidifier to a drain pipe and let it go.

Agreed. When I empty the container of water, it always has a slime on the bottom. Would you drink it? Didn't think so. Do you want your fish swimming in it?

dannypd

Quote from: Iceman on September 16, 2006, 09:17:36 PM
Agreed. When I empty the container of water, it always has a slime on the bottom. Would you drink it? Didn't think so. Do you want your fish swimming in it?

I had a dehumidifier setup in a way where the coils were DIRECTLY in a large tank of water.  The tank was cold and water condensed on the OUTSIDE of the glass, trickled into another tank with a float switch and was put into another bucket (filtered) then passed through a UV sterilizer (all home made).

Attached is an old pic of this "cold" tank.  The coils are actually in another container near the floor and pumped into this goldfish tank.  Gold fish are kept in there because...well, I dont have a suitable "winter" pond for them and I dont see the point of wasting food/heat/extra care when they hibernate WELL with COLD water.

[attachment deleted by admin]