Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angels spawning?

Started by Eric, September 15, 2006, 12:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I have had angels spawn before without doing anything much.  Now I am taking care of a friend's fish and they won't seem to get on with it.  Their breeding tubes have been visible for about 4 weeks.  They are obviously paired and looking interested (I think anyway).  They clean a spawing site daily.  The water, temp, food and lights are all good.  I have increased water changes.  I don't know if they have ever spawned before. 

Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do?  I always thought once you could sex them by their breeding tubes it was pretty much inevitable.

Don't they know they have to follow my schedule!!

Thanks if anyone has advice.

Eric 

olson78

I have a pair of angels that produced eggs about a month ago.  Overnight on the first night they all disappeared.  I'm thinking that maybe the pleco got them.  Yesterday I noticed more eggs and the angels were protecting them.  They've lasted overnight but I'm not sure what to do from here.  Should I remove the eggs?  Or remove the babies when they become free swimming?

succinctfish

Quote from: Eric on September 15, 2006, 12:27:20 PM
They are obviously paired and looking interested (I think anyway).  They clean a spawing site daily.  The water, temp, food and lights are all good.  I have increased water changes.  I don't know if they have ever spawned before. 

A few questions:
Do they clean the same spawning site daily?
Are there any other fish in the tank, dithers etc.?
Have you tried playing them Barry White?  ;D

If they are not finding a suitable site, away from predation from other tank inhabitants, if there are any, they will put off spawning.  I have a pair who spawn regularly(my avatar picture) who can't seem to find the perfect spot this time, so they clean a spot, then another spot etc.. Adding a piece of slate leaning at a slight angle in the tank, or a nice broad leafed plant often does the trick.
And Barry White, well rumour has it that it might help set the mood  ;)
Good luck.

Eric

Hi -
Thanks succintfish.  I have a few other fish -- two swordtails, a couple of guppies, an otto -- really just leftover fish from my friend's tank.  I wasn't planning to do anything with this tank until I saw the angels getting ready to breed. (or so I thought)
I added a piece of slate a few weeks ago.  They clean it a few minutes a day, but that's about it.  Not obsessive at all. 
Maybe they are just fooling around...  I have never seen Angels not breed after their tubes were visible, but I am not an expert or anything. 
Barry White is a good thought :)  I've probably been playing them too much Metallica.  Maybe I should rent a romantic comedy?
Cheers,
eric