Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

TANK DISASTER!!!!!!

Started by Jason, September 14, 2006, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickster

:( sorry to hear about your blow out ,it's no fun at all ,i had a 55 gallon blow out right down the middle ,i blame it on poor design the tank should have had a centre support ,one suggestion that i can offer is make sure the tank is sitting on a good foam base ,IE my 180 gallon is on top of a very good 2 inch Styrofoam Sm .it can help substantially on any minor weight shift .sorry i don't have any fish right now to offer but i will keep you in mind if anything come up .take care and keep your head up .

discusFans

Oh my god...really sorry to hear that Jason. Unfortunately, I don't have any of fishes. otherwise i will give u some.

This really scare me now. ....

Jason

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the support.

Thought I'd post a few pics of when I first set it up.  Keep in mind it was still a little rough around the edges but I didn't have a chance to get any better pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]
135g - Malawi Cichlid Tank
120g - Soon to be planted community tank
108g - Planted tropical tank

rickster

:)wow great pictures very nice set up that you had ,hope that you didn't get too much damage to the rest of the area .take care

dannypd

Just a recommendation to help dry things up.

CLOSE all windows and CRANK up a DEHUMIDIFIER.  It will TRY to keep mold from growing in the drywall by drying things up quickly.

A word of caution, MAKE sure you cover up your tanks you have in your house now, or it would be counter-productive.

lucky777

pegasus

Sorry to hear about your disaster, specialy as my first morning news...
Had the same happen to me last year but I was a bit luckier as I found my fish with their fins sticking out of water not more than 15-30 minutes after my 75 gal had burst.

What can I say more other than keep the spirit high, all will be fine, it's TGIF after all. I have replacement fish for all of them but its too soon for serious talk. Call or pm later when you be ready.

Michel

Iceman

Wow. What a shame. Keep moving forward though.

Jason

I wanted to start off by thanking everyone who has freed up some of his or her personal stock of fish to help me rebuild mine. It is very much appreciated and hopefully I can repay the favors one day.

Ok so after reassessing the damage this morning it looks like I may have gotten off easy. So far it appears that everything is drying up nicely and there doesn't seem to be any "serious" damage. There will only be the one partition wall that I will have to pull down and redo but apart from that I'm thanking my lucky stars that the water didn't infiltrate more of the walls.

Now that I'm getting over the shock of it all I have to move forward and get things back on track.  I just can't decide whether or not I should buy a new tank or reseal this one? Has anyone resealed a larger tank before? Are there any special precautions I should know about? Will I need any special tools i.e. XL 5 foot clamps?

I'm a little nervous about resealing the tank should I decide to go ahead with it, I would want to make 100% sure that it's done right the first time. What do you guys suggest?

Either way before I put another tank on that stand I'm going to have to test it somehow to see if the load of a full aquarium caused it to shift and become uneven. I wouldn't want to put either a rebuilt tank or a new one on there only to find out that the tank wasn't the problem.

artw

Jason I can offer you some plants if you'd like, just let me know what species you'd want and I can drop them off, no charge of course.  I have echinodorus sword plant, crypts, straight val, spiral val and windelov java ferns which any of the above would work in your tank.  the africans my nip on the hygrophila species.

Toss

Sorry to hear (read) about your tank disaster. I only have SA fishes to offer you. About resealing it, I would buy a new one and maybe not hagen this time. Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can help with livestock.
Enrico
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

CarlClassen

I have  4 or 5 M/F 1.5inch Yellow Labs you can have for free to help you out if you want. Just PM me.

dpatte

i have some male yellow labs (nice dark yellow colour) as well as many daffodil brichardis availablefor reasonable prices.

charlie

So sorry to hear of your misfortune Jason , hope you recover fast ( I`m sure you will )
good luck in the future.
Regards

Jason

OK I've decided I'm going to replace the 108 gallon with a new tank as I don't have the time or patience right now to reseal this one. (it will be up for sale soon along with it's original stand and canopy if anyone's interested.)

So I've heard people mention that BA's Montreal has the best prices on tanks. Is this correct? Is it worth the drive after you take the price of gas into consideration?

Any other places that may be suggested?

Also, bang for your buck, what do you think is the best tank avail right now. Keep in mind that I don't want the best tank on the market, just want to know that if another tank is $25 more but has a much better reputation I'll go with that one.

Last question, do all manufactures make aprox the same dimension tanks? I need the tank to be no more than 60Lx24Hx18W

Thanks again,

Jason