Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

in-tank pH strip monitor

Started by PaleoFishGirl, September 15, 2006, 01:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

Garnpet brought this gadget to my attention and they sell them at PetSmart too.

Has anyone tried one of these? Do they work well?

BigDaddy

Since Seachem only just released them, I highly doubt it

That being said, they do have an older product called Ammonia Alert that generally worked well, so I'd assume the pH Alert would be based on similar manufacturing processes.

mseguin

For some reason we had one of those at work, it didn't seem too precise to me.

PaleoFishGirl

Well, I bought one of these at Berry's Pet Foods tonight, I couldn't resist.  $20 and it comes with 3 canisters (4-6 weeks each). 

I'll let you know how/if it works. I'm eagerly anticipating it right now but it takes 2 hours to start working (come on come on come on).  I'll test it against my AP test kit.

One of my concerns was actually whether the 'juice' could leak into the tank. I can't imagine that it does....it shouldn't affect water quality, should it?

PaleoFishGirl

I tested it this morning against the AP kit and it matched exactly - yay!

artw

hm maybe I'll get one of these.  Any idea how fast it reacts to PH changes?  for example when one does a 50% waterchange?

PaleoFishGirl

I guess I'll find out on Sunday...

Seanc

why don't you get a digital pen PH reader off ebay? i got mine for $25, then you can check all your tanks, fast and extremely accurately.

BigDaddy

Yup.. because that's what I told you to do  :D

Honestly though, a good quality digital pH pen is worth its weight in gold if you have more than one tank

babblefish1960

Okay, uncle, I say in pain, that we have more than twenty tanks set up, and the range of pH is fascinating, so how do you get one of those pen thingy's without getting lost on eBay?

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: Seanc on September 19, 2006, 03:08:23 PM
why don't you get a digital pen PH reader off ebay? i got mine for $25, then you can check all your tanks, fast and extremely accurately.

"All my tanks"  LOL

BigDaddy

Quote from: Seanc on September 19, 2006, 03:31:40 PM
i just searched PH meter

thats the one i got

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Super-Accurate-DIGITAL-pH-METER-Lab-Aquarium-Tester_W0QQitemZ320029003954QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry to hear that   :D  Good luck finding a replacement probe when that one goes bad... unless you ordered replacements at the same time....

I have a Milwaukee pH53, and I love it.  Dual point calibration, good accuracy, automatic temperature adjustment.. nice pen.  I think Mila has the same model.

artw

Remind me only to buy stuff that LargeDad endorses or recommends or uses. :bows:

Seanc

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 19, 2006, 04:18:52 PM
Sorry to hear that   :D  Good luck finding a replacement probe when that one goes bad... unless you ordered replacements at the same time....

I have a Milwaukee pH53, and I love it.  Dual point calibration, good accuracy, automatic temperature adjustment.. nice pen.  I think Mila has the same model.

when i asked if this one was ok, on the other topic you said it was alright!!
darn.

BigDaddy

Quote from: Seanc on September 19, 2006, 05:50:38 PM
when i asked if this one was ok, on the other topic you said it was alright!!
darn.

I beg to differ my good man

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=10112.msg79899#msg79899

babble said it was okay ...  I never posted about that specific device.  I just said you should look for devices with at least .1 accuracy and resolution... you posted that pen after the fact    :P

Seanc

oh yeah
well babble, I shall hold you liable, which means that......well it doesn't mean much, but i will listen to BD, and if he decides not to reply to my Post then i will be in trouble, and lose my hard earned cash ;)

mseguin

BF gave it the BD seal of approval

babblefish1960

That's true, I merely pointed out it "could" be "okay" as it met some of the criterion that BD pointed out as being requisite to warrant the outlay of your hard earned cash, so there.

Pity really, perhaps you could buy a better one when you run out of solution.