Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Who wants to help?

Started by cory, September 23, 2006, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cory

i wanna make a DIY background for my 6ft frontosa tank! PM me if u wanna help! this will be my first time! So let me know!!

FrenchFish

Actually,  i'm looking to make a background too, for my 75 gal.  Would be helpfull for me too.  But for me ,  I just need to know where to get information on how to do it.

SuperT

This could be one of those DIY articles.  Take lots of pictures (I would like to see how its done).

Terry

jgolden

Quote from: cory on September 23, 2006, 07:09:23 PM
i wanna make a DIY background for my 6ft frontosa tank! PM me if u wanna help! this will be my first time! So let me know!!
Depends. What were you thinking of for a background... One of those 3D backgrounds?

cory

i was thinking of making one of those styrofoam /cement ones.

westmeath

I have a styro background in my cichlid tank. It's quite easy. If you need help pm me

pegasus

Those 3D bakgrounds are beautyfull but keep in mind that they also take 15-25% of your tank volume and space.

KarEn

Quote from: Pegasus on September 24, 2006, 09:46:46 AM
Those 3D bakgrounds are beautyfull but keep in mind that they also take 15-25% of your tank volume and space.

Pegasus is 100% right. I was going to say the same. I've started building one, but then gave up. I think it's just too much. Look at the pics of my "film background". http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=11045.0
It looks very natural, yet you have 100% of the tank's volume and no chemicals in the water. No matter how well you clean it, you still get deposits of chemicals.

If you still want to get info on DIY, then look at this site. I know this guy personally. Very nice person, very smart, and he has been in this hobby for over 30 years.

http://www.netmax.tk/
(The site is down today, check it out later).

P.S. If you really want to have that "rock-looking" 3D background - place real rocks in it. Big Als Kanata has one show tank and I think it looks very nice.
Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.

cory

thank you all for the comments. I have changed my mind. I have only 18" width and for my frontosa i want to keep all the space i can. Thank you KarEn and Pegasus(Michael)