Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquascaping Advice

Started by darkdep, October 11, 2006, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

So last night I started the first steps in my wall-aquascaping endeavour.  I bought 8 different backgrounds to attach to the tanks.  I seperated them into level-themes...bottom tanks use backgrounds of pretty much all rock, middle ones use backgrounds of partial rock/plant, and top ones have a lot more plant.  They are different side-to-side but the theme top to bottom is intact and seems to look nice.

Attaching backgrounds to already-set up tanks is a COMPLETE hassle.  I got about 4 in place and then noticed two things...light reflecting off the wall behind them lets you see the other side partially through them (which sucks) and, I noticed that they look so dull and unimpressive...except where some water has them sticking right to the glass, in those spots the background is bright and looks fantastic.  I think I read somewhere that using vaseline to attach backgrounds is the way to achieve this effect across the whole background...so I'm going to drain each tank in turn, turn it around, and lube it up to do this right.  My god this fish wall is a lot of work so far.  :)

RoxyDog

I'm sitting here wondering why you just didn't paint the back of the tanks?  :D 
But that would be solid colour only...unless you get creative!  I'm working on something more creative, just have no time.  BTW, the offer to help ya is still there.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

Well, I didn't want solid colour really, and really, after it took so long to get the tanks up maybe I jumped the gun a bit without thinking of the backs.  Ah well, every time we screw up we learn, right? 

PaleoFishGirl

I'm sure it will look great once you get the petroleum jelly on.  I've heard this works really well (but never tried it).  Maybe another layer of backing behind, some dark bristol board or something?

darkdep

Yeah, definetly need to apply something dark to the back.  Black bristol board is a good idea, it's at the Dollar store near my place.

Rudy00

krylon fusion always worked wonders for me, you can use the various colours they have and do a mixture or textured backgrounds and if you dont like it comes off fairly easily with a blade and some elbow work