Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I need some guppy help please!

Started by Supressor, November 04, 2006, 11:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supressor

Not to sound like a noob or anything, but I thought I'd do a pH test in my fry tank (Platy's and Guppys, and millions of snails :( ), and i looked up on the internet what it should be, and it conflicts with what I have. I got a measurement of 6.0 (lowest i can get with this test), and the internet showed 6.6-6.8, and 7.0-8.0 for guppies (I doubt they could stand 8.0). So in other words, why are my fish living so peacefully in this tank when they should showing signs of stress and things like that? should I bump up the pH gradually before I move some into my big tank?

zapisto

guppy are admirable adaptable fish
it is why they are so widely available and considered as "Easy fish " to start.

if your fish are doing well
dont even try touch anything
each installation is uniq, even if you main directive in the fishkeeping

Supressor

Thanks zapisto, but my main concern is should I raise the ph in the fry tank to match the ph of the main tank because I want to move some into there.

squeeker

As long as your tank's water pH remains constant, there's no reason to change your pH.  It usually causes more harm than good.  If you wish to move fish between tanks with different pH readings, make sure you gradually acclimatize them.

Some questions to consider.

Does your guppy tank have driftwood?  Driftwood drops the pH.

Do you have any hollow ornaments in your tank?  When water stagnates inside hollow ornaments, it can cause the pH to drop.

Are you doing regular water changes and thorough gravel vacuuming (once every week or two weeks)?  If not, the pH gradually falls.  Test your tap water, and if it tests higher than your tank, do a series of small water changes this week to get the pH back to where it should be.