Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

water not crystal clear

Started by rickster, November 02, 2006, 06:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickster

:)Hi all ,just wanted to see what others are doing to get really clear water,i currently put in a black magic charcoal pad in my trickle filter (wet Dry ) .its starting to look better ,so what are your tricks .

fishycanuck

Truth be told, I accept that the fish don't need crystal clear water. I only use charcoal to remove medication. If the water is cloudy white or green, there may be an algae bloom or bacterial problem.

BigDaddy

If you want "crystal clear" water... nothing polishes water like a diatom filter.  Leaves every other filtering method in the dust.  For mechanical filtration, I've yet to see anything that beats my diatom filter.

hummer

I use two canisters xp1 and fluval 404.  fluval to do mechanical and xp1 to do chemical on top of that i have a uv sterilizer and do 25% every week.  I have crystal clear water unless i forget to do a water change and it turns grayish green.

rickster

Quote from: BigDaddy on November 02, 2006, 08:37:16 AM
If you want "crystal clear" water... nothing polishes water like a diatom filter.  Leaves every other filtering method in the dust.  For mechanical filtration, I've yet to see anything that beats my diatom filter.
Good point i agree!!! But i remember that the diatom filter was very expensive .....well back in the day when u see more around .Hmmmm what are they going for now ????? How hard is it to get a good one at a fair price ??? Wow anyway thanks for the input ,its good cause we all get more idea's .take care  Rickster

BigDaddy

A HOT Magnum can be used as a diatom filter for very little compared to true diatom filters (less than a hundred)

A HOT with the micron cartridge can be charged with diatom powder and can do a real good job at polishing the water.

rickster

:)Very Cool didn't know you could do that with a hot magnum .I will have to look into that .Do the still sell the origanal diatom filter ....just curious .take care Rickster

rickster

How do you load up the hot magnum ,and where is the best place to get diatom powder .

BigDaddy

Diatom powder can be puchased at Big Al's for sure... probably the other pet stores too but I get mine from BA.

If you go on the Vortex site (vortex diatom filters) they show how to recharge their filter.  The same principle would apply to a Magnum

http://www.diatomfilter.com/recharging.htm

rickster

ok i will need to make a trip to BA to get some diatom powder ....maybe a diatom filter ,I Have a H.O.T. Magnum Compact Hang-On Tank Filter ,but the impeller is not in great shape and i find that it is not running 100 %.

Nerine

my water is murkyish with all the plants/driftwood...the fish are happier than pigs in mud!  I was debating what it would take to actually set up a muddy riverbed type of tank...it'd be cool anyways :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

UCGrafix

I use Charbon in one of the levels of my Fluval 404.
One box of Charbon ( contains 3 pads ) $10.oo, change them once a month and voila.

BigDaddy

UC... Carbon isn't a mechanical filter medium.. its chemical.  Diatom filters are an extremely effecient mechanical filter.

rickster

Quote from: UCGrafix on November 03, 2006, 09:01:36 PM
I use Charcoal in one of the levels of my Fluval 404.
One box of Charcoal ( contains 3 pads ) $10.oo, change them once a month and voila.
I have the black magic pad ,which is sworn to give good results ,but i find that the water is somewhat cloudy .....kinda like there is a fine particle suspended in the water ,so the idea of polishing is quite appealing .the fluval 404 is a good system and may give a alltogether differant result .take care Rickster .

UCGrafix

I know BigD.
Thing is, for me it's much simpler to add Carbon to one of the level of my Fluval 404, it clear up my water, but can I do more.
I'm curious.
Would supply more details on the Diatom mechanical filter please.
How is yours set up ( hooked up to your tank ) ?
Would you pair it to an existing filter to clean up the water even more ?
Is it worth the extra spending ?

If I can better my tank, I will.

Who caries the diatom filter ?
Edit : Big Al's Vortex Diatom Filter D-1 $169.99
What exactly does this mean " Includes all necessary tubing & fittings for operation & enough diatom powder for one use " ?

BigDaddy

A diatom filter works by forcing the water through a very fine powder.  Diatom powder is so effective at mechanical filtration, it can even clear up green water (a single-celled organism)

Some people run diatom filter's 24/7... but most do it once a week/once a month when they want to "polish" their water.  The reason why many people use the HOT Magnum as a diatom filter is that it is inexpensive compared to other diatom filters, its small and portable.  Simply hang it on your tank, charge it with diatom powder, and then remove it once the job is done.

rickster

:)Hi i have been checking out the prices of the diatom filters and notice that they had it at BA ,pretty expensive ,but  i found it @ petsmart on line the large capacity unit which does 400 gallons an hour for $89. it come to $108.when you order it ,shipping and exchange rate .I think this is a good deal .Take care Rickster

UCGrafix

Can you give me more info BigD.

" Polish cleans aquariums and removes ick and other parasites ".
I like the fact that it removes ICH and parasites, if I can stay away from the chemical treatments, i will go green any day.

Can you apply the following question to a 90 Gal. tank, and the once a week treatment ( or is it the same as if you leave it plugged in 24 / 7 ).

The Diatom Filter comes in three format on Big Al's site, so I fugure that If I'm going to spend that much, $20.oo more or less won't make much of a difference.

A ) Vortex Diatom Filter D-1: $169.99
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17899/si1320420/cl0/vortexdiatomfilterd1
B ) Vortex Freedom Diatom Filter : $189.99
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17899/si1320422/cl0/vortexfreedomdiatomfilter
C ) Vortex Diatom Filter- XL : $209.99
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17899/si1320421/cl0/vortexdiatomfilterxl

How about the Powder ?
How much is needed for one treatment / a once a week thing ( or is it the same as if you leave it plugged in 24 / 7 ) ?
Should one consider the 10 oz. $25.99, or go 5 lb pail $79.99

cory

rickster

:) Just got my new diatom Xl filter ,wow what a nice job this unit does . I think that its worth while to get one ,i am  totally convince that ,it does the best job on  polishing and clearing up a tank .

take care rickster