Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Filter, Polishing and Pleco

Started by Black Hair Algae, November 13, 2006, 03:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Hair Algae

Hi there!

Few questions for the big tank (100gal+) keepers and pleco lovers.

I am keeping a planted community tank, roughly 30+ plants and about 60 inches of fish at the moment. (Plan on increasing that in the next few months)   ;D

I am using a Eheim 2028 with original media and running it at full flow. Question is, what additional filter should I use to complement this? Another canister filter? A diatom filter to polish the water? Heard that a magnum is a good filter and can be converted to polish water......any input? Which magnum....cost?

Last but not least, a friend of mine gave me her pleco before she moved out of the country.......I believe it is a common pleco.....about 6 inches.......it has already dug a nice hole next to a amazone sword.......will it stay put or dig holes all over the tank? It did a nice job on the brown stuff that was on back glass (diatoms???) So I am relunctant to part with it...unless it will turn the tank in an absolute mess, in which case.....I'll give it away!  :(

Have taken a few pics......hope they come out right.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

darkdep

I have two Magnum 350's, and just this weekend converted them over to the micron filters to do water polishing.  WOW.  It's no diatom filter but it has to do mechanical better than anything I've ever seen.

rickster

I got a new diatom and its great for polishing the water ,its made quite a difference ,I agree with dd about the magnum 350 ,it does just as good of a job as well ,and the bonus on the magnum is that you can load it with diatom powder for even more finner polishing .FYI i saw the hot magnum on sale at petsmart for $ 49.00 that's a pretty good price .