New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

NEED HELP. Funrace dies and I have no heater in the tank.

Started by KarEn, December 25, 2006, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarEn

Can someone lend me a heater for my 120Gal tank till tomorrow?
Is someone there around Merivale area?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.

babblefish1960

I can't help you with a heater as such, I'm short myself, however, in an emergency, you could always increase the ambient room temperature to whatever the tank is supposed to be at. That would at least keep the tank temperature stable until you could get a heater tomorrow. A 120 gallon shouldn't lose its heat very quickly anyway, heat mass storage is a wonderful thing with large bodies of water.

babblefish1960

Ah, I just realised what a funrace was, you do have a problem then, perhaps you can find a kerosene heater or some such thing or heck, light the barbeque up in the fish room, anything is better than having everything drop to freezing.

Adam

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 25, 2006, 02:28:12 PM
light the barbeque up in the fish room, anything is better than having everything drop to freezing.

I'm pretty sure this is how a few people died during the ice storm.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

KarEn

Nice comparison. Thanks Adam. That makes me feel better...

I got the heater. Thanks to "garnpet".
He's got a very nice tank, btw.

Regards,
Kar En
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.

babblefish1960

I'm glad garnpet was able to help, that should save the fish.

To clarify as regards lighting up the barbie in the fish room, I shall add something that should be fairly common sense, open two windows to be certain you have proper ventilation. Insofar as people dying, this is only ever caused by a build up of gases and inadequate replacement ventilation. Obviously, proper precautions need to be exercised, but I will add also that coal was burned inside homes successfully for centuries.

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on December 25, 2006, 03:17:58 PM
I'm glad garnpet was able to help, that should save the fish.

To clarify as regards lighting up the barbie in the fish room, I shall add something that should be fairly common sense, open two windows to be certain you have proper ventilation. Insofar as people dying, this is only ever caused by a build up of gases and inadequate replacement ventilation. Obviously, proper precautions need to be exercised, but I will add also that coal was burned inside homes successfully for centuries.

It is scary though how many people lack common sense.

darkdep

babblefish1960

You're both right, I forgot how uncommon it was. :)

Hopefully Karen, you got your funrace sic fixed too.

darkdep

Hey!  Weird coincidence!  OUR furnace quit today!  Wife noticed that the temp was still 19 in the house after the furnace being on for many hours.  I got a heating and cooling book from the library and was actually able to diagnose and fix it myself.  The jets would fire and then go off after a few seconds, turns out the flame sensor was just dirty.  Pulled it out, a little sandpaper, back in, and all is well.

Iceman

Good for you APW. I do, however, suggest that any furnace issues be dealt with by qualified techs. Sometimes the solution is as easy as DD's fix, but furnaces can also kill if they are functioning improperly.

Just my opinion.

gonzobluefuzz

too true.....ya rub a burner, thermocouple or a switch/valve(whatever they wanna call 'em)  the wrong way and yer looking for trouble.....and not in the GOOD way :-[

2 cents deposited here!!!   :)

darkdep

Agreed 100%.  In my case, we had the control board replaced last year and the manual was sitting beside the furnace; the control board has an LED blinking an error code so it really wasn't a complicated issue. 

But a gas furnace is a gas furnace...

sas

I was just going to say ;) must have been gas. Us oil burners out in the sticks got caught in a money grab this year >:( Oil companies couldn't deliver oil unless an inspection on the system was done.Had to be done in the last 10 years no matter if you had the system seviced every year >:( 80-100$ :(

KarEn

My problem wasn't fixable....  :-[  The Heat Exchanger died on me. It was a 1991 Coleman EDS80 furnace. I called Direct Energy and they came installed the furnace today. I bought Trane XV80 model. It's mid efficiency unit. Should be good for my house. I must say I was quite impressed with the level of work the guys did. Professional, quick, clean!

Thanks again to garnpet for his help the heater! Great guy!
Regards,
Kar En