Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I'm trying to stock my 10g, but...

Started by PaleoFishGirl, December 03, 2006, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

The tongue test? Please explain (I'm slow) :D

babblefish1960

It's probably the same test to check to see if batteries still have life in them. (works best with 9v.) ;)

PaleoFishGirl

Yay, there is another person in the world who has put a 9V on their tongue! When I mention doing that as a kid, people think I'm crazy...  okay, well... LOL

Anyway, what does conductivity have to do with the gH of my water? Or is this just a big joke?

babblefish1960

Yes there is another crazy person in the world. ;)

As for conductivity, it is just a measure of Total Dissolved Solids, and in natural water, this can show a general hardness of things that would affect the electrical conductance of water with inorganic substances and dissolved solids like sodium, chloride, sulfates, calcium, bicarbonates, phosphates, nitrates, iron, and magnesium.

Water running through limestone and gypsum tend to have high TDS with calcium, carbonate and sulfates. These TDS's would translate to a higher gH without specifying which minerals were affecting the high reading. This is where kH gets more defining with reading carbonate hardness.

As for the tongue test, there is a slight validity to licking, as you can taste some minerals if the levels are high enough, otherwise your head is being messed with. ;)

BigDaddy

I have a TDS meter if you really wanna check it PFG

PaleoFishGirl

Finally, a straight answer! But from... babblefish ??? Not what I was expecting ;)

I think if I try the tongue-test, the result will be: tastes like fish water.

If I can't get things sorted out with a few more water changes, like if the gH starts to go back UP, I might take you up on that offer BD, thanks :D

babblefish1960

:P I'm not just another pretty face you know,  :P as the scarecrow was heard to say, "I've got a brain". This could apply to me too. :P I think you're worrying too much about a test kit you haven't been able to set a base line with, however, keep checking if it makes you feel better. Perhaps borrowing BD's TDS meter would help ameliorate your feelings on the matter. :P

artw

it's only fish water, hehe. it won't kill you. I am probably the only one at BA who starts the gravel vac syphon by mouth.   and I turned out fine. :D

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: artw on December 06, 2006, 03:27:31 PM
and I turned out fine. :D

Well, that's debatable :P

I'm not worried, per se, I just don't want to come by and get those two beautiful apistos from you guys, only to have them be belly-up in the morning :(

babblefish1960

There's always more.  :o Good choice to make certain you have a habitable eco-system for the little blighters, they will be happier for it I'm sure. :)

pegasus

Sorry PFG I could reply while I was at work.
Here's why the tongue test is so revealing of the different status of your tank.

If you feel some tingling, there may be some electricity being leak to your tank. Fish can endure a certain small amount, a bit more and you will find them swimming on their side or up side down. More than that, hope you put me in your will.

If your tongue falls off, you have too much acidity, stiff... alkalinity.

If you enjoy the sensation, look for a kissing gourami.

If your tongue gets stuck to the frame, increase temperature.

If it's your nose that is more stimulated, then I would call the cat for a free meal.

A tongue test can do more, I'm sure but that's enough insanity for this evening. I tend to agree with babble, there is testing, over testing and worrying too much.

babblefish1960

I love it pegasus, with all this new information, DeadFishChick can't possibly go wrong. This is worthy of an article for water parameters and testing methods. Good job there little buddy. :D

Dear Paleontologistpoissonfemme, you should be enjoying your new tank possibilities and not fretting so much, borrow Bigdaddy's TDS meter and knock yourself out, could be fun. ;D

PaleoFishGirl

Update:

pH this morning: 6.4
gH this morning: 13 (going back UP again)

Fish are still fine. 

artw

thats interesting. maybe there is more to that flourite than meets the eye.

babblefish1960

I'm afraid that this new information clinches it for me too. There is something suspicious about this flourite mixture, unless there is some other detail you've elided, such as a piece of marble under the driftwood. It may well be time to consider tossing the $30 into a flower pot and begin again. Sorry, just a humble innocuous thought.

charlie

PFG , you should try a test to see if it is the flourite ( should not be). Place some tap water in a jar, which i believe you said is about 1 GH & add some flourite from the tank , check GH after a day or two, also was any of the plants rooted to anything.
Regards

PaleoFishGirl

Well, I'm not (totally) crazy! (phew!)

I borrowed a gH test kit from artw - took 10 drops with his kit to change the colour this morning.  I measured with my kit, it's up to 14.

I'll try the fluorite test this weekend.  None of the plants were rooted to anything.

PaleoFishGirl

Haven't done the fluorite test yet  :-[

I just did a water change and gH is at 7 drops now, so we're getting somewhere (pH at 6.4 before the WC and 6.8 just now afterwards).

Whatever is going on, the pencilfish don't seem to mind - they (2m, 2f) are spawning like crazy in the morning! Quite the acrobatic little things, actually :D I'll try to get a video at some point.