Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What to stock a 65 Diamond tank with? Water Ph of 9.1?

Started by bitterman, December 13, 2006, 11:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

I am picking up a 65 Gallon Diamond corner tank Thursday night. I comes with stand, canopy, basically everything including some fish. It even comes with a newer test kit, syphon tubes, drift wood etc etc.

It comes with 2 FW sharks (black Bala?) and some convicts (3-4).

I was wondering what to stock it with. I am seriously thinking of sell the sharks as they may not do very well in my water with a Ph 9.1

Bruce

No PFG I am not doing brackish!

I just go the measurments form the seller and it is only ~65 gallons :( Still a good price for what I am getting, not quite the steal it sounded like... Still getting it though :)

Adam

pH 9.1 gives it away.  If you have tanganyikans, do malawi...either haps or mbuna.  When I had one, I wanted the other, and when I had the other, I wanted the other one. 

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Mettle

I would do some sort of Malawi colony, personally speaking. Spend some time maticulously designing a rocky backdrop and stacks for them to weave in and out of and then pick some mbuna that stay on the smaller side... That's just my choice.

oenology

My colony of featherfins. I'm thinking of selling them and their tank in preparation for major renovations this spring.

Adam

I don't know if featherfins would do very well in a 65 gallon, especially if it is short like a corner tank.  They need a longer and wider aquarium.  Although some only get to be 5" (like ventralis), they need a lot more roaming space than what would be provided.  Almost all the featherfins get between 8 - 10".

But you may need the aquarium for frontosa fry soon enough...

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

bitterman

Quote from: Adam on December 14, 2006, 12:32:34 PM
I don't know if featherfins would do very well in a 65 gallon, especially if it is short like a corner tank.  They need a longer and wider aquarium.  Although some only get to be 5" (like ventralis), they need a lot more roaming space than what would be provided.  Almost all the featherfins get between 8 - 10".

But you may need the aquarium for frontosa fry soon enough...

Adam

It will be at least a year or 2 before the fronts breed (Getting a proven male in the spring might speed things up so they breed within a year if I am lucky) The youngest Front I have heard of Breeding is a guy in BC had a burundi front bread at 1.5 years old with his proven male. Males take longer to mature often upto 3 years.

Bruce