Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

mollies

Started by daniel, December 15, 2006, 12:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel

other than guppies and other mollies, what other fish can be kept in a community tank with mollies?

beowulf

What size tank?  You can go with many different fish from barbs to tetras many kinds of loaches and dwarf cichlids.  All depends on how much room you have and what you like.

kennyman

The natural habitat of Mollies ranges from Freshwater ponds and ditches out towards coastal areas into salt marches and estuaries. They are a Eurohaline fish which means they are adapted to widely varying salinity. I have an excellent book by Walter Adey that outlines the presence of the Sailfin Molly in an ecosystem model he created for the Smithsonian institute. His data showed that the Molly was present in all 7 units of the system from fresh water to full marine however it made up the greatest percentage of the fish population in the lower estuary sections of higher salinity. It was closely associated with various types of Killifish.

daniel

Quote from: beowulf on December 15, 2006, 01:10:51 PM
What size tank?  You can go with many different fish from barbs to tetras many kinds of loaches and dwarf cichlids.  All depends on how much room you have and what you like.

i have a 55 gallon tank

Quatro

Quote from: daniel on December 16, 2006, 11:23:31 AM
i have a 55 gallon tank

Lots of room.  Swordtails are a good choice.  I like White Cloud Mountain Minnows.  Neon or cardinal tetras would look nice too.

As for the barbs suggestion, I do not fully agree.  I had guppys and added some tiger barbs and then I didn't have guppys anymore (ie. they eat them).  If you like barbs go for cherry barbs or maybe rosy barbs.

If you want something really nice (and want to become completely addicted to cichlids) go for Apistogramma Cacatuoides.  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1437  They are what got me hooked on cichlids.

Mike S

beowulf

I would look at going with some zebra or yoyo loaches (6), some rams (either bolivian or blue) to start and grow from there.  You have a decent size tank that allows for some fun.