Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Discus forum question - good sites?

Started by KLKelly, December 16, 2006, 11:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I have a friend in the states that will be adopting some discuss.  They are trying to research to see what they need to prepare.  They've had fish but none that have the specific requirements that discuss do.  She's looking into RO unit, DI filtration/possible salt issues etc.

I know there are many of you here that have Discus.  Is there a forum that you guys would recommend where she can get this info/post questions?  These questions have probably already been tackled on an established discus forum.

Thanks.

Karrie

KLKelly

That does look like a good site - thanks : )

babblefish1960

Without sounding trite, I would suggest they could come here, we have a number of people with a lot of discus experience and yes, there is much to know, and bad things happen fast with these fish. But they are not impossible.

The most important thing to remember about advice, there are always two extremes of experience and belief, and that somewhere in the middle lies the truth. Essentially, whatever works for each person is just that, what works for that person.

For example, I know people who adamantly insist that it is wrong to have gravel in their aquarium, or other species of fish, and others still, who believe in 90% water changes, some of them daily, so on the other end, some people don't do anything special for them and they seem fine.

I would suggest also, that another informative discus site, besides the one already mentioned, is the Discus Page Holland, a very very good site.

BigDaddy

Simply Discus is a good way to scare people away from keeping discus.  While their husbandry practices are not in dispute, the mentality there that ONLY their husbandry practices provide success will scare many away thinking that discus are these monsters of tank maintenance.

I don't like sending newbies to Simply Discus, because most of them will start reading, and 9/10 of them will say "That's too much work" and not bother.

That being said, it can be a good source of info on breeding, disease identification and remedies, and info on breeders and where to get strains.  But I too would recommend your friend visit here and post some questions.  We have a lot of experienced discus keepers and breeders who can get someone off to a good start.

mseguin

Yeah its never a good idea to get all ur info from one source, especially online, as the internet is riddled with errors and pseudo-science.

discusFans