Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Weights of Empty Tanks

Started by dpatte, December 21, 2006, 10:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

I once saw a website that gave the weight of glass (regular or tempered) if you give the dimensions.

Does anyone know the site?

Anyway, I was thinking it might be particularly useful if we had a aquarium weight calculator on the site. I could write it in PERL or preferably PHP if any oneone knows how much glass weighs per cubic foot.

The calculator could tell you the true weight, empty or with with water. Then with a little arithmetic people could calculate their tank weight with rocks, gravel, filters, hood - etc.

BTW - most people say water is 10lbs/gallon, but thats only true of Imperial gallons. A US gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs.

As part of the calculation, does anyone know how much water gravel displaces? if a full tank is 1ft by 1ft, and you add one inch of gravel, how much water will spill out? Anyone want to try it LOL

Adam

They say the aquarium weights 10 lbs/gallon, not just the water.  It takes into account a rough estimate of substrate/rocks.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

PoisonJello

to find out the weight of a glass tank there are many varibles like thickness of the glass and then blah blah blah....and then use a scale  ;D

UCGrafix

According to the 21st edition of The Machinery's Handbook, 1 gallon of water weighs 8.337 pounds.

When Guesstimating the weight of a tank with watter and gravel, most of us use the 10 pounds per gallon method.

jetstream

That's a fun and easy problem to solve, the density of glass is appox 2600 kg/cubic meter depends on the type of glass, and the density of granite (as an example) is approx 2600 kg/cubic meter too. To get an imperial unit, divide it by 16.02 will be in lb/cubic ft (I guess). The number are just for reference only! Correct me if I'm wrong!  ;)

Merry X'mas and Happy New Year to all!

Jetstream

BigDaddy

Displacement is pretty simple

If you have 1 inch of gravel in a 12 inch by 12 inch aquarium...

12 x 12 x 1 / 231

.62 gallons of water would normally occupy that space.  Now, the gravel isn't a solid mass, so there still will be some water there... but it is a good rough estimate

bitterman

I calculated the volume of glass and entered it in the table on this site:

http://www.allmeasures.com/Formulae/static/materials/15/density.htm

My 172 Gallon tank is over 400lbs (3/4" glass)

Bruce