Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pictures

Started by White Lightning, February 10, 2007, 10:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Lightning

I love my tanks so much that I just wanted to share some oictures with some people who can actually appreciate them as much as I do. One picture is of my sixty gallon gourami tank and the others are some of the inhabitants of my twenty gallon tank.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mettle

I love the shot of the pleco! It almost looks like a scene from some fantasy movie.

squeeker

I really like the decor of the goldfish tank!  It looks icy!

I must warn you to keep an eye on that tank, though.  It is overstocked and large plecos like yours are known to prey on goldfish.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, and they cause major damage and death.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to bubble-proof the tank!  No sharp corners, and cover the filter intake with sponge or pantyhose to prevent a bubble from being caught and ripped off.

White Lightning

Thanks for the advice but I thought that the general rule of thumb was one inch of fish per gallon. I do not have twenty inches of fish. Maybe 13-14 inches. And I have bubble proofed the tank. I did some research and that was one the suggestions that I came across. So far everyone seems to be doing fine. Once the pleco gets bigger I will be moving him to another tank.

squeeker

Good to hear you've bubble-proofed the tank!  Bubble eyes are worth the bit of extra effort, aren't they? 

QuoteThanks for the advice but I thought that the general rule of thumb was one inch of fish per gallon. I do not have twenty inches of fish. Maybe 13-14 inches.

Unfortunately, the 1" of fish per gallon rule only works with very small tropicals, like tetras.

For goldfish, the rule of thumb is 1 fancy goldfish per 10 gallons (ryukins, telescopes, ranchu, bubble eyes, etc), and 1 common/comet goldfish per 20 gallons.  This is because a 1" goldfish produce exponentially more waste than a 1" tropical fish due to its much greater body mass. 

Also, I must re-state that common plecos will prey on goldfish.

For more goldfish info, check out http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php.

scorpion-stinger

No way!! dont say that  lol I have my 7" pleco with all my goldfish  :( and just put him in there last week