Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frontosa companions?

Started by revjim_2, February 08, 2007, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revjim_2

I have a small group of Frontosas that I bought on this site about two years ago.  There are five adults and two of their offspring that are now about four inches long.  They are in a very simple set-up; 130 gallon tank, two layers of fieldstone boulders running up the center and some pvc to hide in.  I had some giant danios in with them for interest, but there is only one left, so I would like to add something else.

My question is this, considering that I want the focus to be on the Frontosas, and I want them to be able to raise their young in the tank, what would make suitable tankmates.  I don't want anything that gets as big as they do.  Africans would be nice, but I'm open to suggestions.

Would Tropheus be a bad idea?  I love the Kaiser II's.

I've also thought about a small school of Cyprichromis.

Any ideas would be most appreciated, and if you could include some sources that would be even better.  Jim

bitterman

How large are your fronts? Anything that can fit in there mouth will become food.

If breeding if your goal, most tankmates that are good like adult comps/calvus, syno multi's etc are all egg stealers.

Fronts do not do well with most Malawis, some people have luck with yellow labs but they are fin nippers, Blue Dolphins can get very agressive when breeding.

IMO Tropheus are WAY to agressive for fronts.

Not sure about the Cyprichromis, but if they are small enough to fit in the fronts mouth they will eat them.

Even Bn's are not a good idea with adult frontosa. In fact my 4.75" fronts are starting to bother my 4" bn's in my tank so I am going to remove them.

Bruce

cory

Its all trial and error...if you want them to breed and raise young in the tank i would say leave what you have and dont add anything.
If you want colour and variety i would add some calvus or yellow labs (bitterman is correct, they do nip fins) I have also had luck with C. Moori and have sucessfully bred C. Moori, and Yellow Labs in the same tank as my Fronts.

Best of Luck :)

oenology

Cyprichromis = natural food for Frontosas. Nice for them, expensive for you. I had 2 gold and 2 green sevrums in with my colony - but from your description of what you want these would be too big but they did add contrast.

revjim_2

The adults are five to eight inches.  They have been pretty easy going, but I know there are no guarantees.  I thought about Labs for colour contrast and might go that direction.  I like the Calvus, but don't want to add such an aggressive predator.  Some of the Cyprichromis are larger, and they have never even looked at the Giant Danios.  Jury's still out.  I like the simple look of the tank with just the Frontosas, but wouldn't mind adding a little colour and interest.

Keep the suggestions coming!  I appreciate the help.  Jim

bitterman

I have yellow labs with mine, but they are nippy... The colour contrast is very nice and they do make the fronts more out going and less skittish after the fronts adjusted to them. Ensure you get adults and try 1M and 3F.  I actually found my fronts acting as moderators between the labs. Also i find for my fronts to get enough food I have to over feed my labs. The lab fry will not survive most likely, but it will supplement your fronts. I actually strip my labs to ensure fry survives and raise it in a 10.

I do not find my Calvus so predatious, they are actually very similar in temperament to my fronts, but they are still small at only 2 to 2.5". Just be sure you get adults, as comps/calvus can be hit and miss and you can end up with them being expensive food. I dread the day I have to remove mine from my tank, as my frontosa will definitely outgrow them and they are such an interesting fish to watch. I really like how they compliment my fronts.

Sue

Quote from: oenology on February 08, 2007, 01:42:30 PM
Cyprichromis = natural food for Frontosas. .

I'll second the above advice...Been there done that, and it sure was an expensive mistake!  Cyprichromis are also way more delicate than fronts.

Tropheus...not a good match. You could have a lone male show fish in there but a colony is way too fast moving and active for a frontosa tank.

I used to like the look of Blue Dolphin, and peacocks with Fronts. Those star-saphire (placo..something or other) that APW has would probably look nice with fronts.